News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Austrian postcard to Bohemis

Eduardo

Hello,

Going through my WW I postcards I have found one showing an Austrian mortar with a long mesage in the back send in April 1918 to Bohemia. I wonder if someone could translate it for me. Since I cannot read it I wonder if there is any interesting information. Thanks in advance.

Eduardo

• 2 years later...

Eduardo:

My dear brother in law, sister and "Vilou?ku" (i think its nickname for Viliam)...

At first, recieve my greetings and kisses.. I must once more thank you and tell you, that i am well relishing. chees, eggs and especially butter are like made for bread. (he probably got a packet with food from them). Here is opportunity to buy soap, so I will save some and will bring it. It costs 10 Kronen (Austro-hungarian currency), but what to do when at home (in Skuhrov nad B?lou in Bohemia-now Czech republic) its inpossible to buy it.

Greetings and kisses from yours Otakar...

Thanks Iver. It took two years and a month to translate but it was wroth it. I have another card written by a french boy to his parents thankibg also for the food they have send him and how he is saving a sausage to eat alone during his night guard. Terrible to feel in this cards the happiness of the kids for small things and the anguish of the parents at home.

Once I found a group of some twenty letters send by soldiers during the Peru-Ecuador war of 1940. The soldiers were from small towns in the mountains and the address were so unclear that they had never been delivered. After some ethic considerations I decided to open them . Nothing new to history but it was clear that the letters to parents insisted that everything was fine and safe; those to girl friends were full of action and dangers. I found that very interesting.

Eduardo

Eduardo:

My dear brother in law, sister and "Vilou?ku" (i think its nickname for Viliam)...

At first, recieve my greetings and kisses.. I must once more thank you and tell you, that i am well relishing. chees, eggs and especially butter are like made for bread. (he probably got a packet with food from them). Here is opportunity to buy soap, so I will save some and will bring it. It costs 10 Kronen (Austro-hungarian currency), but what to do when at home (in Skuhrov nad B?lou in Bohemia-now Czech republic) its inpossible to buy it.

Greetings and kisses from yours Otakar...