News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Need help interpreting MIC

Picture1

Picture2

Gentlemen,

I have recently acquired the MIC's for two soldiers whom I have the medals of. (see links above) Since I am not accustomed to these documents however, I don't really know how to interpret them. Could anyone help me with this?

Thank you for your assistance!

Edited by love4history

Arthur Higham served in the Royal Fusiliers and the Middlesex Regt. as a Private. He was only awarded the Victory Medal which will have Royal Fusiliers (R. Fus.) stamped on the rim as well as his RF number.

The number prefix G is found on home county medals for new army men and can also be found on others which aren't from the home counties e.g. Royal Sussex Regt.

The numbers under Roll & Page explain where he can be found in the rolls.

Tony

Alfred Roberts was a Sapper in the Royal Engineers, the (T) 880 is probably his territorial service number, this being changed to 502116 in I think 1917. He received the British War and Victory Medals as well as what looks like either the Territorial Force Efficiency Medal or the Territorial Efficiency Medal (I'm not sure). The TFEM from 1908 was the forerunner of the TEF, this being issued after a name change from Territorial Force to Territorial Army in 1921.

Tony

He was only awarded the Victory Medal which will have Royal Fusiliers (R. Fus.) stamped on the rim as well as his RF number.

Tony

He would have been awarded the British War Medal as well, as you couldn't receive the Victory Medal without the War Medal (although the opposite was possible).

The clerk just didn't bother duplicating the entry.

The Sapper has the Territorial War Medal, as neither of the Efficiency Medals has the word "War" in their names. This also fits well with his low Territorial number.

Edited by Michael Johnson

Thanks for clearing that up Michael.

My G Grandad was one of the men to only receive the BWM, he served in India and Burma, although I have a photo of him in hospital blues and in khaki somewhere muddy in Europe so don't know how he missed out on the VM.

Tony