News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WWI Regualtions about German Army Pilot Sidearms

Does anyone have any regulations they can cite about what sidearms German Heer pilots could wear during the first World War. We see them wearing IOD 89s, hirschfangers, and a host of bayonets with an assortment of knots. Was everythingthing allowed? The Marine Flieger wore the navy dagger as all other navy officers.

Any help on this sidearm question is really appreciated

Many German army pilots were seconded to the air service from other units such as infantry, artillery etc. Since they were only temporarily attached and not actually transferred, they continued to wear their old uniforms (with AS insignia added) and their old sidearms. So in one photo a pilot officer could be wearing infantry uniform and an IOD 89, but in another, one could be wearing cavalry uniform and their basket hilted sabre. Naval officer pilots of course would would wear either the dagger or sword. Enlisted personnel who were senior NCOs were also issued swords and what type would depend on their parent unit. I hope this helps.

Dan

Dan, I appreciate your input on this. What you say makes sense for many of these guys. What about these guys with long careers as flyers, were they still attached to some other unit. Is there any book that has a copy of regulations that would explain this wearing of sidearms. thanks for you efforts on my behalf.

Vic