News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A HJ Expert Ski badge, what do you think?

This a a badge that was issued only for a linited time before being replaced. According to Robin Lumsden's book "Medals and Decorations of Hitler's Germany" This was a qualification badge for ski instructors and was one of the largest youth awards. And that there was only one maufacturer of this award "Wittman of Munich" Mr. Lumsden claims that this badge was more then likely withdrawn shortly after it's introduction seeing as there have been no known photographs of it being worn. And that is was more then likely replaced by the " HJ Scbiwart cuff title" which was authorized for wear by those supervising Hitler youth sking courses.

The badge pictured has some damage to several of the Edelwiess flowers tips. And the center rivet is lslightly loose that holds the emblem and flower in place. I feel that this award is original, and was wondering what others might think of it. My wife likes the badge I think it is kind of on the ugly side. :)

Edited by armybrat43

I'm sorry but I would not be happy with this in my collection. It does not match any of the accepted designs of this badge. There may have been two makers, Wittmann as you mentioned, & Hoffst?tter, Bonn.

Both makers designs are very similar, the crossed skis & Edelweis are made in one piece, not riveted together as this one is. Also, the H.J. rhombus should be enamelled not painted (remember this was pre war & intended as an award for leaders or instructors). Also, there should be two sets of attaching pins not one.

Sorry,

Don

I'm sorry but I would not be happy with this in my collection. It does not match any of the accepted designs of this badge. There may have been two makers, Wittmann as you mentioned, & Hoffst?tter, Bonn.

Both makers designs are very similar, the crossed skis & Edelweis are made in one piece, not riveted together as this one is. Also, the H.J. rhombus should be enamelled not painted (remember this was pre war & intended as an award for leaders or instructors). Also, there should be two sets of attaching pins not one.

Sorry,

Don

thanks for the info and no need to be sorry, didn't pay anything for the badge. And I really don't care much for it. (i collect Army items). And i don't display it with my other militaria. I figured I would post a few pics and get some feedback on it.

Guest WAR LORD

This is without doubt a fake. There were two makers, Wittmann , & Hoffst?tter, Bonn. Both badges are identical, so it is possible that the badge was produced by one maker, and then supplied to both firms for sale.

This is without doubt a fake. There were two makers, Wittmann , & Hoffst?tter, Bonn. Both badges are identical, so it is possible that the badge was produced by one maker, and then supplied to both firms for sale.

Takn you for the feedback about the badge.