News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Question about Mystery RA Driver

Afternoon Gentlemen,

I am new to the forum and to British medal collecting. I picked up a BWM and Victory pair to a Driver in the RA in original box, plus his demob account certificate and a 'personal' note from Kitchener.

Ok, next step to research them! Following the advice in Williamson's book, I looked online at the National Archives records for his medal card, but no record of him whatsoever!

His details are as follows: no: 118211, Dvr j.h. sawrey, R.A. According to the certificate, his first name is James.

What should I do? Is it the case that not all medal cards are available online? I really want to find out more on this chap now...

Many Thanks

Gilbert

I believe many of the Medal Index Cards are not online as yet. I think it will require a trip to Kew or pay a researcher to do it for you it usually does not cost that much and saves a lot of hassle (unless you have a lot of research to do, then it is worth the trip).

Hi, it's my understanding that all WWI MIC's are now available on-line at the National Archives website. This was completed when they added the womens section late last year.

Any cards that are missing from the website have been lost or destroyed.

Cheers

Graeme

Hello Gilbert,

I just found this on the NA site:

Medal card of Sawry, James H

Corps: Royal Field Artillery

Regiment No: 118211

You'll need to pay them to see his MIC though. Better still, take the bus to Bermondsey and get the tube to Kew. That way you may be able to find out more on him.

Tony

Many Thanks Guys,

I downloaded the medal card which shows he is entitled to the pair. Out of interest, what extra info would I be able to get by going to Kew in person?

Is there any research I can do on the demob account slip? It is stamped Blackheath - does this mean that Sawry/ey lived round that way?

Cheers

Gilbert

Gilbert,

Try the online 1901 census to find out where he may have lived.

A researcher would no doubt find more than you or I at Kew but, his records could have been destroyed by the Lutfwaffe during the Blitz as were my great Grandfather's.

I'm trying to research a WWI soldier from Nottingham at the moment and am hoping for some news from the local library e.g. a photo. If James was from Blackheath you haven't got far to travel. On a side note, I joined up at Blackheath where I took the Queen's fiver. Inflation!

Tony

I've just had a quick check and have only found this:

James Sawrey aged 4 in 1901

Born Lancashire Kirkby In F Lancashire (don't know what F is)

In the parish of Kirkby Ireleth

Being artillery he might have just demobbed there what with Woolwich Arsenal being just down the road.

Tony

Although this person couldn't help me with my WWII Merchant Navy query, I have heard he is good on WWI soldiers http://www.militaryresearchon.com/

I've tried finding details myself but you do need a lot of time or at least I do. If you want to try yourself have a look at this very good site, there's some good tips and it's very interesting. http://www.ahesketh.demon.co.uk/index.htm

It might be worth looking here too http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/pathway...sr_soldiers.htm

I also believe Kew has a list of researchers.

Tony

I've just had a quick check and have only found this:

James Sawrey aged 4 in 1901

Born Lancashire Kirkby In F Lancashire (don't know what F is)

In the parish of Kirkby Ireleth

Being artillery he might have just demobbed there what with Woolwich Arsenal being just down the road.

Tony

Yes Tony you are spot on, I just checked in Williamson's book and the pay office for RA was in Blackheath, hence his demob chit stamp from there.

Cheers

Gilbert