News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Document Group to a family from Magdeburg

I have an interesting group to a family from Magdegurg that stretches from the Franco-Prussian War to World War I. It is as follows...

Urkunde f?r den Seconde-Lieutenant Paul Hennige zur Kriegsdenkm?nze von STAHL am COMBATTANTEN-Bande, vom 1.November 1871 (a pretty early doc)

Urkunde f?r den Rittergutsbesitzer Paul Hennige zur Kriegsdenkm?nze von STAHL am NICHT-COMBATTANTEN-Bande, vom 18.August 1872

Urkunde zur Erinnerungs-Medaille aus erbeuteter Kanonen-Bronce an den Seconde-Lieutenant der Landwehr Infanterie a.D. Paul Hennige, vom 26.Januar 1898.

Urkunde zur Rote Kreuzmedaille 2.Klasse f?r die verwitweten Frau Kommerzienrat Marie Hennige, vom 6.September 1916.

I'm curious if this is three generations or just two. Am I correct in thinking that Rittergutsbesitzer Paul Hennige is the father and Seconde-Lieutenant Paul Hennige is the son? I am surprised that Rittergutsbesitzer Paul Hennige earned the steel award with NC ribbon - I would have imagined he did not serve in France based on his title - but it appears he did in some kind of medical role. Also, it appears that Seconde-Lieutenant Paul Hennige earned his KDM while serving at home. From the looks of it, Seconde-Lieutenant Paul Hennige must have been a pretty young officer during the FP war to still be in the Landwehr in 1898. And lastly, do you guys think Marie was the daugher of Seconde-Lieutenant Paul Hennige, or perhaps his wife, and volunteered for service in WWI?

Please let me know if I am way off on these guesses and anything else that appears interesting about these groups. I'd love to know what the rest of the written info is on these docs as I can't read most of it. Thanks in advance.

Brian

Edited by Brian R

Very interesting group, Brian.

Take a look at this link:

Moritz Paul Hennige

I think the Erinnerungs-Medaille must be his because the name on the document is actually 'Moritz Paul Hennige' with a line under 'Paul' meaning this was the name he used.

He was married two times - both times to a Marie(!). The Marie in your document group must be his second wife.

A bit off topic: Do you know who signed the document in post #7?

/Mike

Guest Rick Research

Too early for me to be of any help.

#7 is the printed autograph of Graf Kanitz, which is also found on most WW1 Prussian War Effort Crosses.