News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Definitely not the normal Mayer tooling, or the pin/catch style normally found on Mayer badges.

On the E-Boat, the pieces made by Mayer have the flag solid with the deck of the boat, no gap like on this one. There are also some minor differences in the patterns on the wave under the bow of the boat. Could be wartime but definitely not made on the Mayer tooling..

Hi Alex,

This is an intersting badge. It's been discussed on WAF before (http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118348&highlight=L%2F18).

To me, yes, there are some slight differences with "typical" Mayer examples (which are pretty uncommon in the first place) but there are also a lot of similarities not found to my knowledge on E-boat badges from other makers (eg both the bow tube door "hinge" and the flag pole have lines on them on this example and typical L/18 examples).

Interestingly, the design of the Mayer and the RS badges are imo VERY similar - to include some characteristic features on many parts of the eagle - waves as well.

I don't see anything wrong with the gilt finish - it looks plated in post#7, however I can't rule out a re-finish from pics alone (if the finish is easily removed with acetone then it's been repainted).

I've checked through my files and that "fat" L/18 mark is present on other Mayers - it is an unusual mark though.

The finish on this example appears very good and the hinge/pin/catch are reminiscent of earlier Mayer Heer badges, so it's possible this type of Mayer was the earlier type and the "more common" Mayer with the wide pin and block hinge is the later type. Maybe some die reworking between the two "types"?

It looks authentic to me - I certainly would not call it a fake!

Regards

Mike