News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Two Red Army Figures in 120mm scale

lazyschnauzer

Attached you'll find pics of Roger's superbly painting of two Soviet 1919 period figures. Both are based on illustrations from Osprey MAA 293. The standing figure is a train guard from Trotsky's armored train all in red leather uniform. The corpse is an infantryman in the typical uniform of the period. Hope you like them! More photos on my web site later today.

http://heroesonthewire.blogspot.com/

All the best,

Dan

• 1 month later...

I start with wire - usually 0.8 mm copperish welding wire - that works best. The wire is put into 2-part putty that has already hardened. I usually make a hardened torso and a pelvis connected by wire. Then add the arms and legs. The wire is bent into the pose I want. Boots and a head are added. Sometimes these are resin cast parts from other kits; sometimes not. The rest of the model is then made using 2-part putty which air dries over a period of 30 to 45 minutes. I work on only one leg, one arm, etc. at a time using various tools to form the model. When finished with a portion, it's allowed to dry thoroughly. Then sanded, etc., etc.

I use a couple 2-part putties, but the one I use the most is called Magicsculpt. Here's a web site where you can buy some. http://www.michael-robertsltd.com/scripts/...p?idProduct=121

If you are interested in possibly learning to make figures, go to www.planetfigure.com. I learned from the tremendously talented folks on the site - they were very generous with their assistance. Everyone is welcome!

All the best,

Dan

Sergey,

There is a master sculptor and fine artist named Sergey [sergei?] Zlobov living in Moscow (I believe.). He's posted some marvelous work on Planetfigure.com and elsewhere. Makes some incredibly beautiful horses!

All the best,

Dan

Edited by lazyschnauzer