News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My first British Victory Medal

The edge inscription is:

4408 A.B.Q.M.SJT.G.A.BARKER.R.A.

my translation: :P

4408 A.Battery.Quarter.Master.SerJeanT. G.A.BARKER. Royal.Artillery. - G.B.

I found two files MIC (not downoladed yet): :speechless:

- Medal card of Barker, G A

Royal Field Artillery

Serjeant

- Medal card of Barker, George A

Royal Field Artillery

4408 891271

Serjeant

Is correct? The medal is genuine? :shame:

Franco

P.S. sorry, my english is poor

Looks good to me, matches on the service number to the MIC card (4408). These are, to my knowledge, not faked. Maybe the last thing for which this is true?

I would guess Acting Battery QM Sgt.

Getting the MICs will tell you more.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Franco,

Both Medal Index Cards are correct for the one individual. 4408 Acting Battery Quartermaster Serjeant George A. Barker was infact a member of the Royal Field Artillery(Territorial Force) and was probably serving in the one of the Hertfordshire Batteries of the 1/4th East Anglian Brigade, R.F.A.(T.F.) of the 54th(East Anglian)Division and we know this through his second number 891271 which was one of the new six figure replacement numbers issued to all members of the Territorial Force in 1917, replacing all the old four figure numbers.

The East Anglian Division and in particular the Hertfordshire Batteries of 4th Artillery Brigade were given the following block of numbers to replace their old ones;-

890001 - 895000.

In 1916 the 1/4th East Anglian Bde, R.F.A.(T.F.) was renamed 273rd Brigade,R.F.A.(T.F.) and then changed to 270th Brigade, R.F.A.(T.F.). When 54th Division left for Gallipoli it's artillery brigades were left behind in England and they then proceded to France in November 1915 and were attached to 33rd Division. In February 1916 the artillery moved to Egypt to rejoin 54th Division.

Do hope you're able to make sense of this.

Graham.

Thank you very much Graham, :beer:

Your information are very useful. :jumping:

I downloaded a DCM card, and a page of the London Gazette (nr. 2164 supplement 18 feb 1918) with no further informations except the indication: (Peterborough), perhaps the place of birth ?

The DCM card contains in the ''Corps'' field: 73/270 Bde RFA (TF) and this match with your informations. ;)

Do you know the meant of the number 73 ?

I downloaded a MIC too, it show:

VICTORY (RFA/15yB TF - 11494)

BRITISH ( - do - )

15 STAR (T/RFA/4A+B - 468)

therefore a total of 4 medals for a valiant soldier, but I do not understand the abbreviations.

Also in the MIC there are:

-another reference that I dont understand: SWB List Ra/4564.

- Theatre of war first served in: (1) France from 19/11/15, and this match too with your informations. ;)

- on the right side Dis 392 XVI a[?] 20/4/19: the discharging day for health problems, I think.

Have I made a good job? :speechless:

Bye, and thanks for your help.

Franco

P. S. sorry for my english

Franco,

The London Gazette reference to 'Peterborough', is his place of residence at that time. This would certainly fall into place as the 3rd Battery of 1/4th Brigade was infact from Peterborough, Northamptonshire.

The Medal Index Card references refer you to the actual pages of both the British War & Victory Medal Roll Book and the 1914-15 Star Medal Roll Book for the Royal Field Artillery. Neither of these books are on-line I'm afraid from which to download pages.

The SWB reference refers to the pages of the Silver War Badge Roll Book, so it appears he may have been awarded a Silver War Badge too, even at that late date. Again this book is not on-line for downloading information.

Being discharged under Kings Regulations, Paragraph 392(xvia) usually is an indication that he was "no longer physically fit for war service".

The one thats currently puzzling me is 73/270, as by 1916 all batteries were lettered rather than numbered and so you would have had 'A', 'B' & 'C'/270, referring to the unit he was serving in.

All the same Franco you have a good find there a Victory Medal to a man who was also awarded a Distinguished Conduct Medal, and medal collectors would be only too pleased to have such an item, although medals to Corps units don't seem to attract the attention as those of infantry units. All you need to do now is try and find the others, so best of luck.

Graham.

".

The one thats currently puzzling me is 73/270, as by 1916 all batteries were lettered rather than numbered and so you would have had 'A', 'B' & 'C'/270, referring to the unit he was serving in.

I make a mistake! The "73" is a "B" !! :speechless:

Thank you very much !! :D

Franco.