News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Juncker or Schwerin U-boat badge

Hi folks,

I want to show you this badge. It was obtained in 1980 by my best friend Victor P. I happened to be with him it was purchased (veteran). Well I was able to scan it yesterday and what do you think?

The badge is fire-gilted and notice the balck solder. The badge is not re-stamped with the maker mark (it matches my Schwerin hallmark on my 2nd pattern badge to a T). Does this add to the mystery of who made this badge?

Regards,

Jody

Edited by JBeltram

Very nice example and no doubt a 100% original badge. Personally though, I wouldn't believe for a minute it was made by Schwerin. Mis-marked pieces aren't that rare. Interestingly, as these are often attributed to Juncker, Winkler had some Juncker Auxiliary Cruiser Badges which carried the Schwerin mark. Both Berlin firms - perhaps a case of one helping the other out to fill rush orders ?

There was also one of this type around a little while back with a Steinhauer "4" mark.

Very nice example and no doubt a 100% original badge. Personally though, I wouldn't believe for a minute it was made by Schwerin. Mis-marked pieces aren't that rare. Interestingly, as these are often attributed to Juncker, Winkler had some Juncker Auxiliary Cruiser Badges which carried the Schwerin mark. Both Berlin firms - perhaps a case of one helping the other out to fill rush orders ?

There was also one of this type around a little while back with a Steinhauer "4" mark.

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the comment. I have known about this badge for 27 years and I have never doubted it, I thought you might find the hallmark of some interest. To me stuff like this is what makes the hobby fun.

Regards,

Jody

This is a very interesting badge due to the stamp. It would be interesting to know how the mismatches actually happened, you would think this would be a strange anomoly for sure even with the firms in the same city.

The speculation would be endless of course, but in any case, I very nice period tombak with an original Schwerin Berlin stamp. John