News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

It helps when your father-in-law is a Major General and PLM winner

I wrote to the US National Archives in College Park, Maryland to see if they had the service record of Gen. der Infantry Werner Kienitz. As I have he medal bar, (see link http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=14435&hl=kienitz) I wanted additional information. It took about 2 months and I recieved a copy of a 4 card file on him, posted below and was told they have a 45 image group on microfilm that I could purchase of pick up. I do not know if it contains pictures and/or paperwork. I will soon find out.

As I looked through the 4 card file I notice that his father-in-law, Gottfried Edelbu(unlauts)ttel was a Major General. I found him in the 1914 ranklists as a Major in the same IR64 with Kienitz. I also discovered that he Edelbuttel won the PLM and was a honoraire Major General. I wonder if his father-in-law had a influence on the career?

The cards also contain comments from some of his commanders. Any translation help is appreciated.