News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

honour goblet research / KG 1 member

Hello,

Is there anyone who can tell me the whereabouts of Oberfeldwebel Walter Richter?

I have the following info on him :

* Bordmechanic

Did win the :

* honour goblet - date 20.04.1942 (altough his goblet is dated: 16.04.1942, and it is a Alpacka type)

* german cross in Gold - date : 17.10.1943

The fact that he did win the German cross does point out that he was a member of a very succesfull crew + he must have survived quite a bit.

He was with the 2. / KG 1 when awarded the German cross.

Any idea iff he did survive the war or any other info available?

Thank you in advance,

• 2 months later...

Hello,

There is another possibility, there was another Walther Richter (also a German cross in Gold winner) but he was with the KG 53. The KG 53 W.Richter was a Bordmechanic, someone confirmed me that the KG 1 W. Richter was a pilot. So he could not have been the one.

Therefore, lets focus on the KG 53 one

Hello,

Is there anyone who can give me more information on the Kampfgeschader 53 'legion Condor' ?

I am looking in particular after the faith and information on :

Uffz. Walther Richter

He was awarded the DKiG on the date of 27.10.1942 while acting as a 'Bordmechanic' with teh 3./KG 53.

Thank you in advance,

Stijn

Sorry I can't help as I have no books on this squadron. Have you tried a google search? I was very lucky with my goblet research in this way. Even though he was not listed in the Ehrehpokal book, he was listed on the web in a casulty report. From there I knew his squadron and a search on the German War Graves website provided more. He was also listed in a book.

Good luck!

Rich

Hi Richard,

Thank you for the hints, i have however encountered another possibility to make it even more complex :rolleyes:

So i have found:

* Richter Walter => honour goblet

A) Ehrenpokal date 20.04.1942 / Feldwebel - Bordmechanic

B) Ehrenpokal date 08.05.1943 / Oberfeldwebel - Pilot

Sofar we have 2 possibility's => my goblet should be from A, the date onf the goblet is however 16.04.1942 and the rank engraved is: Overfeldwebel - the name is a exact macth.

Then we also know that a German cross in Gold was awarded towards a Oberfeldwebel Walter Richter on the date of 17/10/1943. This person (one of the above 2 possibility's A or B) was acting with the KG 1 'Hindenburg'.

So 50 % chance it is either A or B? , any clues on how to find out wich one of the 2 it was?

Iff the DKiG winner was A, then we do know the unit towards wich my research object did belong ( Kampfgeschwader 1 'Hindenburg'), iff the DKiG winner is however B then we do not know much besides the fact that he did win a honour goblet, not even the unit etc .. (could be many things)

So the research does continue :cheeky:

Then we also have the fact that a Walther Richter (note the spelling => Walther is written with a H) was awarded the following awards:

* Ehrenpokal - date : 16.02.1942 / Uffz. - Bordmechanic

* German Cross in Gold : 27.10.1942 / Uffz

* Knights cross : 28.02.1945 / Ofw. - Bordmechanic

This Walther Richter was active with the KG 53.

The fact that in this case neither the name (there could be spelling mistake), rank and award date are corresponding does point out that we can forget about this one. So we still have 2 possibility's left IMHO.

All hints are offcoarse welcome to help solve this riddle and find out who this person was and what was his fate?

ps: anyone a idea in wich type of planes a Bordmechanic was needed for example?

Stijn

I'm a little confused by your last post. You list 2 Richters:

* Richter Walter => honour goblet

B) Ehrenpokal date 08.05.1943 / Oberfeldwebel - Pilot

These are awarded over a year apart so I don't understand how you think it could be either? Do you have the Ehrenpokal you are researching?

There are 3 Walther Richters listed in Die Inhaber Des Ehrenpokals Fur Besondere Leistung Im Luftkrieg:

A) Fw. Bordmechaniker 20.04.42

B) Ofw. Flugzeugfuhrer 01.02.43

C) Uffz. Bordmechaniker 16.02.42

For the DKiG there is:

1) Walter Richter Obfw. 2./KG 1 17.10.1943

2) Walther Richter Uffz. 3./KG 53 27.10.1942

* Note the different spelling of Walther => Walter

So if the date on the ehrenpokal is 16.04.1942 it must be A). From what I have seen a few days difference in the date of document and on goblet is OK. (Fran?ois would be able to confirm).

It may be that he never won the DKiG so maybe he is not 1) nor 2), or as you say he may have transfered to KG1 but wold this not be unlikely with a NCO? If this was possible and you know for sure he won the DKiG then it must be a) and 1) ?

Rich

Edited by Richard Gordon

Hi RIchard,

Thank you, yes i know my questions are not always clear (that is also due to the fact that English is not my native language :rolleyes: )

Yes i have the goblet and i am convinced that it is the goblet as can be found in the literature

That is my certanity, all the rest is something can't confirm at this point and i would like to find out the fate of my former goblet holder offcoarse (as the lw. flying units), also was he the DKiG winner from the KG 1 or not? those are facts that are uncertain at this point.

It is quite well possible that the honour goblet was his highest award and that he was KIA during the following period, the sad faith of quite a few Lw. crews. Therefore all help in researching it is welcome :cheers:

Pictures will follow a bit later

Cordial greetings,

Hello,

The focus does change a bit but a few friends have helped in researching an the former winner from the goblet was MIA shortly afterwards.

He was a member of the 5./ KG 2.

The crew did fly a mission on the date of 21.06.1942 with their Do 217 E-4 (markings: U5 + NN) anf ailed to return.

Since that day the complete crew is reported missing in action.

The crew consisted out of:

- Ofw Johann Rulfs (pilot)

- Ofw Willi Seelow (observer)

- Fw Theodor Schulz (Radio transmitter)

- Fw Walter Richter (bordmechanic)

The crew must have been quite succesfull as both Rulfs & Schulz did win the German Cross in Gold, Richter from his side did win the Honour Goblet as his highest award.

Is there anyone who can point me the actions out in wich teh II./KG 2 was involved during the period of time in wich they where reported MIA ?

Cordial greetings,