News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Japanese Sword

Hello All,

I was digging through my stash of treasures and decided to share my modest collection of Japanese Swords with you. I was tempted to post this under the section dealing with Japanese Military History as the Japanese Sword is a history of Japan.

Just a few notes on the Japanese Sword. Always store your sword in it's scabbard (Saya) and with the cutting edge UP! Never store the sword with the cutting edge down. There is a whole tradition on how to present and hold your sword both when showing it and when handing it over to another for inspection. Never, never, never ask to see another's sword blade. If it is not offered it is not polite to ask. Drawing the sword from its scabbard for inspection is also a delicate manuver. Don't draw it as if you are in a Samuri movie and don't pull it out inch by inch to "view" the blade, that is stuff for the movie camera as well (as in Kill Bill). Hold the scabbard in the left hand (blade edge up) and slowly draw the sword out trying not to let the blade touch the insides of the scabbard. Allow the blade to rest on it's back edge while drawing the blade out. When you get to the tip of the blade move the scabbard downwards so as to allow the blade to exit in a flowing manner. Another point on displaying your sword. In the average household you should see the sword in the rack with the handle to the viewer's left hand. You will notice that I have my swords to the right. This signified that the sword is in the home of a person who is ready to defend his hime and family against anything that may threaten the family. I have been schooled in the Toyama style of Japanese Swordsmanship of the All Japan Toyama Ryu Laido Kyokai. I take my swords very seriously, actually to the point of a religion ( I am also a Buddhist). End of sermon.

The sword I am starting with is an NCO Shin-gunto c. 1945. These were made at the end of the war and material was not plentiful. I have started with this sword for two reasons. It represents the end of the long history of Japanese blades made for use in battle. The second reason is that as I post my collection I intend to save the oldest blades for last.

The blade and tang of this sword are unmarked.

Nakago (tang shape):Futsu

Nakago-jiri (tang tip): Kuri-jiri

Yasurime-mei (file marks): none

Mekugi-ana (hole for handle peg): one

Saya: Brown leather-covered wood

SIngle ashi ( suspension ring)

I hope you like my little collection.

Cheers

Brian

Hello All,

I was digging through my stash of treasures and decided to share my modest collection of Japanese Swords with you. I was tempted to post this under the section dealing with Japanese Military History as the Japanese Sword is a history of Japan.

Just a few notes on the Japanese Sword. Always store your sword in it's scabbard (Saya) and with the cutting edge UP! Never store the sword with the cutting edge down. There is a whole tradition on how to present and hold your sword both when showing it and when handing it over to another for inspection. Never, never, never ask to see another's sword blade. If it is not offered it is not polite to ask. Drawing the sword from its scabbard for inspection is also a delicate manuver. Don't draw it as if you are in a Samuri movie and don't pull it out inch by inch to "view" the blade, that is stuff for the movie camera as well (as in Kill Bill). Hold the scabbard in the left hand (blade edge up) and slowly draw the sword out trying not to let the blade touch the insides of the scabbard. Allow the blade to rest on it's back edge while drawing the blade out. When you get to the tip of the blade move the scabbard downwards so as to allow the blade to exit in a flowing manner. Another point on displaying your sword. In the average household you should see the sword in the rack with the handle to the viewer's left hand. You will notice that I have my swords to the right. This signified that the sword is in the home of a person who is ready to defend his hime and family against anything that may threaten the family. I have been schooled in the Toyama style of Japanese Swordsmanship of the All Japan Toyama Ryu Laido Kyokai. I take my swords very seriously, actually to the point of a religion ( I am also a Buddhist). End of sermon.

The sword I am starting with is an NCO Shin-gunto c. 1945. These were made at the end of the war and material was not plentiful. I have started with this sword for two reasons. It represents the end of the long history of Japanese blades made for use in battle. The second reason is that as I post my collection I intend to save the oldest blades for last.

The blade and tang of this sword are unmarked.

Nakago (tang shape):Futsu

Nakago-jiri (tang tip): Kuri-jiri

Yasurime-mei (file marks): none

Mekugi-ana (hole for handle peg): one

Saya: Brown leather-covered wood

SIngle ashi ( suspension ring)

I hope you like my little collection.

Cheers

Brian