News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Japanese Sword

Hello All,

Here is the NCO Shin-gunto c. 1933 -34 sword. This, in my opinion, is the sword most associated with the Japanese Army of the WW II period. This was designed to look like the Samuri swords of Japan's past. I think it was as much a propaganda item or perhaps an eccouragment to their young soldiers to follow Bushido as it was a functional battle sword. The sword itself has a nice feel and balance and is well made for a mass produced blade. The blade has a fuller, a feature dropped in later manufacture. The handle is well detailed and made of aluminum. It is attached to the blade by one brass screw. The blade and saya are both marked No. 132403. The blade has the Koishikawa Arsenal mark (pre 1936). The fuchi (copper collar just before the tsuba) has several markings. One I have not been able to identify but may belong to the Kokura Arsenal. The other marks are the Koishikawa Arsenal mark and what I believe to be an Army acceptance mark. The tsuba (hand guard) is brass and made to look like the traditional Samuri tsuba of long ago. The sword is held in the saya by a leaf spring catch. The saya is green painted metal with one ashi.

Cheers

Brian

Here is the NCO Shin-gunto c 1933-34 sword handle.

Notice how much detail when into this handle to make it look like the original Samuri sword. I have seen this handle in copper but never owned one. I understand that there are fakes coming out of China or India that look exactly like these. If you are looking to purchase an original Shin-gunto be very cautious. If the condition looks too good to be true then it is almost always a fake.

Cheers

Brian