News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Japanese Army Parade Sabre c. 1930

Hello All,

Here is the Japanese Army Parade Sabre c.1930, long pattern. The blade is machine made, chrome plated and with an acid etched yakiba. The yakiba is the tenpered part of the blade including the cutting edge. The line that is formed between the yakiba and the jigane (lower blade surface) is called the hamon. This feature could be purchased at an additional cost by the officer. These swords were not tempered and therefore would never have a naturally occuring hamon. As you can see this is only for parade duty as the blade would be of little use in a battle.

The hand guard and grip style are along the European style, French influence I believe. The saya (scabbard) is chromed metal with one ashi. Neither the blade nor the scabbard are numbered.

Cheers,

Brian

Here is a close up of the grip and guard. On the side of the back strap can be seen the Japanese Mon (symbol). Sometimes an important family would have the family mon placed on the back of the back strap. If you are out looking to add one of these to your collection look at the back of the grip. If there is a mon and the price is fair, buy it. Unless I am there and then just point it out to me. :rolleyes:

This style of grip is not what most people expect when you talk about a WW II Japanese sword and indeed it is more like the grip style used during the Russo-Japanese War. I'll post one of those another day.

Cheers,

Brian