News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Japanese Kai-gunto (Imperial Japanese Navy sword)

Hello All,

This is my Kai-gunto with the Naval tsuka (hilt). This blade is machine made of stainless steel and it is signed. The number 153 is also stamped into the nakago (tang). It is interesting to note that some machine made blades were signed and many hand made blade are unsigned, contrary to popular belief.

Nakago shape: Futsu

Nakago-jiri (tang tip shape): Kuri-jiri

Mekugi-ana: one

The tsuba (guard) is the brass and copper sun pattern of the Imperial Japanese Navy. I have read that most of these swords were lost with the ships on which their owners served. The sword would stay in the cabin while the officer was on duty. Naturally when the ship went down so did the Kai-gunto. There is reminents of a sword knot but these can not be trusted to tell the collector what rank the owner held. I would think that considering the actual knot is missing that this may be the original cord. The blade itself is quite nice though a little wider than I would expect near the ha-machi (area near the tsuka). It is one of my favourite swords in my small collection.

I hope you like it as well.

Cheers,

Brian

Here is the tsuka (hilt) of my Kai-gunto.

The Same' (ray skin) has shrunk as the dealer who sold this to me had a fire in his shop and the heat shrunk the same'. There was no damage to the rest of the sword and I have never looked into replacing the same' as it is original and I like it that way. The tsuka-ito (binding) has seen a lot of handling most of which I would guess was post war. The menuki (metal ornaments under the tsuka-ito) are there to improve grip. Menuki are found on swords for all periods and if you check out the first sword of this series that I posted yesterday you'll see it even on the last swords of the war. You'll also see them on the oldest swords that I have yet to post.

Cheers

Brian