News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Elderly man from Baden, wearing quite much

Here's the photo of the elderly man I mentioned in another thread. It's a photo postcard without date, but written on its back:

"Liebe Martha Habe Deinen Brief erhalten. Besten Dank daf?r. Gru? Herman. Komme am Montag 6. July nach Heidelberg & hoffe Dich zum letzten Mal zu sehen denn werde bald nach England und dann von dort in meine Heimat, zu meinen Kindern & Kindeskindern zur?ckkehren."

He is going to England and from there(!) to his children and their children, soon. It sounds like he's going away from Germany but to a place where HE feels home. Might be America if he emigrated, or maybe Israel if he's a Jewish settler?! He's for sure a old Badener, wearing decorations from 1870 war and WWI, but the picture is all but good quality.

I hope someone could help me with it?!

On his 8 place medal bar, he has:

- Preu?en, Eisernes Kreuz 1870 or 1914;

- Preu?en, ???

- Baden, ???

- Baden, Felddienstauszeichnung, evtl. mit Spange ?1870-1871?;

- Preu?en, Kriegsdenkm?nze 1870/71 mit zwei Gefechtsspangen;

- ???

- Baden, Regierungsjubil?ums-Medaille 1902;

- Preu?en, Centenarmedaille 1987.

Another 2 place medal bar, with LS awards:

- Baden, Landwehr-Dienstauszeichnung;

- ???

An on the left two veteran association badges, most likely:

- Badischer Leib-Grenadier-Verein Karlsruhe und

- Badischer Milit?r-Vereins-Verband.

I'd appreciate ANY ideas ... :rolleyes:

PS:

With bold things, I'm quite sure.

Edited by saschaw

Guest Rick Research

Looks like the Z?hringen Lion Verdienstkreuz in 2nd place. With all that long time in service, maybe his child emigrated and he was going to visit his grandchildren overseas? He's a bit elderly to have packed up and gone off himself.

Too bad the photo is not clearer.

We had the same style German 1870 Veterans Verein badges for local groups in America.

Thanks Rick for your opinion. A Z?hringer merit cross might be likely, yes, and behind it ANY Baden merit medal, from "1870 on bravery ribbon" to "inter war era on civil ribbon" to the very common "WWI on bravery ribbon". If the order is correct, it should be a inter war merit medal, as a Medal on bravery ribbon outranked a (civil) Z?hringer merit cross. IF the Z?hringer cross is civil, and not one of those 556 on bravery ribbon as well ... :sleep:

I still wonder what medal hangs on 4th place?! And is it a 1870 or WWI Iron Cross? I loved to have the bar, would be much easier then. :P

I hate such photos on which you can recognize just one half. :mad: