News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

KM officer info neede

Does anyone have any information on a Kriegsmarine Fregattenkapitan (V) Vehlhaber?

I have his reefer jacket dated 1939, but he does not appear on the 1944 Rangliste. His ribbon bar (sewn on) has several WWI awards, as well as a WWII War Merit and 2 Navy long service ribbons with gold eagles. Additionally, it has loops for either an EKI or a WMC and also a lower second set of loops, sewn horizontally, for another badge. Because he was not (at least when the jacket was tailored) a line officer or other seagoing specialty, I have no idea what would fit here. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Harrier

Guest Rick Research

He received an Iron Cross 2nd Class and Mecklenburg-Schwerin Friedrich Franz Cross 2nd Class (pale blue with narrow yellow and red outermost stripes) in WW1, as well as an Imperial XV Years Service Cross which would have been replaced in October 1936 by the Wehrmacht 25 and 12., preceded by the Hindenburg Cross X of course.

Born 13 September 1893, though I can't find his first name.

Marine-Zahlmeister 1 April 1921

Marine-Oberzahlmeister 1 April 1927

Kapit?nleutnant (V) 1 April 1935

Korvettenkapit?n (V) 1 October 1937

presumably killed or died during the war. Somebody here will have the WW2 assignments book for German naval officers.

Assignments:

1924 a Paymaster on battleship "Hannover"

1926 Paymaster, IIIrd Marine Artillery Battalion (M.A.A.)

1931 Paymaster Ist Torpedo Boats Half-Flotilla

1936 Flotilla Paymaster 2nd Minesweeper Flotilla, Cuxhaven

1937 Establishment Paymaster, Ships' Artillery School

as of the 1.1.39 "Naval Birthdays Directory" he was living at Hafenstrasse 25, Kiel, with his wife Erna (birthday 28 February 1XXX).

From

Navy Rank Lists 1924, 1926, 1931, 1936, 1937 and the birthdays book.

Since there were no seagoing submarine paymaster officers, the horizontal loops must have been for either a Minesweeper or Destroyer badge-- probably the latter as "Flotilla leader" ship would have been where he served at sea. Might also have been an early type E-Boat badge. WW2 naval war badges are out of my experience.

Guest Rick Research

Naval regular officers are easy... better if they didn't get themselves killed though. But someone here can fill in the 1939-194? gap.

Fregattenkapit?n Paul Vehlhaber born 19.9.93 in Parchim in Mecklenburg. Promoted to that rank on 1.10.40.

8.37-4.40: Administration Officer Ships' Artillery School.

4.40-5.40: Administration Officer 1. Abteilung Ships' Artillery School.

5.40-9.42: Administration Officer Flak School.

9.42-1.43: Administration Officer Artillery Arsenal Wilhelmshaven.

1.43: Placed at Disposal (z.V.)

Regards

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

Just got my copy of Paul C's Kriegsmarine Rank Lists CD :cheers: and here's Vehlhaber from the 1938 edition:

• 4 years later...