News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 79 was a reserve regiment from northern Germany, the daughter regiment of Oldenburg's IR 91, as well as the III. Bataillon of IR 78, a Prussian regiment from Ostfriesland. It was called up on mobilization in August 1914 in Oldenburg (regimental staff, II. and III. Bataillone) and Aurich, Ostfriesland (I. Bataillon). The regimental staff and the I. and II. Bataillone went to Borkum to relieve the regular garrison on the coast, while III. Bataillon and the MG-Kompanie were attached to 19.Reserve-Division.

This is what "Formationsgeschichte der deutschen Infanterie im Ersten Weltkrieg" says happened next:

Im Januar 1915 wurde das I. Bataillon umgebildet. Es bestand danach aus dem Stab sowie der 1., 4., 5. und 6. Kompanie.

Das Bataillon wurde zusammen mit dem I./Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 85 und dem II./LIR 85 zu einem neuen Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 79 zusammengestellt. (Das I./LIR 85 wurde II./RIR 79, das II./LIR 85 wurde III./RIR 79). Nach Umbildung des I./RIR 79 bildeten die 2., 3., 7. und 8. Kompanie das neue II./RIR 79.

Das III. Bataillon trat am August 1916 als III. Bataillon zum bayer. 29. Infanterie-Regiment und wurde mit dem neuem II./RIR 79 und dem IV./LIR 75 zum RIR 440 zusammengestellt.

Does this make sense? Leaving aside that I think it should be Januar 1916, not 1915, as 1916 was when RIR 79 and LIR 85 appear to have been reorganized, something doesn't quite add up.

The companies of the I. and II. battalions are reshuffled, and then I.Bataillon is joined with two Landwehr battalions to form a new regiment. These Landwehr battalions are redesignated II./RIR 79 and III./RIR 79. But there already are a II./RIR 79 (at least the companies) and III./RIR 79.

Were there two II./RIR 79s and two III./RIR 79s apiece in 1916? The original ones and the ones from LIR 85, with the original ones becoming battalions of RIR 440 in the fall of the year? Why would I./LIR 85 become the II./RIR 79 of the "new" RIR 79, while the companies of the old regiment become "new" II./RIR 79?

Dave,

I can't answer your question, but I am curious about the book you are quoting from. At first glance, I thought you were refering to Cron, but the title is different. Who wrote this book?

Thanks,

Chip

Dave,

I can't answer your question, but I am curious about the book you are quoting from. At first glance, I thought you were refering to Cron, but the title is different. Who wrote this book?

Thanks,

Chip

Hartwig Busche, Formationsgeschichte der deutschen Infanterie im Ersten Weltkrieg (1998).