News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

German Cross in Gold Document

Guys, several years ago I picked up what was supposed to be a grouping belonging to one soldier. Unfortunately, with no way to actually confirm that all of the awards actually belonged to the guy, I've somewhat treated them as separate items. Hopefully, with a little help, maybe I can at least confirm whether or not the guy would have qualified for the decorations that came with the group. First, would the D.R. after the oberleutnant indicate this guy was a doctor? Being in panzer artillery, would he have qualified for a numbered panzer badge in bronze? Answers to this should help me decide whether or not this is a real grouping or not. Thanks!

Guest Rick Research

I can't help on originality, but Oberleutnant der Reserve Bernhard Buck of IInd Battalion/Panzer Artillery Regiment 128 is confirmed with the German Cross in Gold, 8 September 1943 per "Die Tr?ger des Deutschen Kreuzes in Gold" army volume, by Horst Scheibert (himself a DKiG holder), Podzun-Pallas-Verlag, circa 1985.

At the time, 128 PzArtRgt was in 23rd Panzer Division, Mius sector near Stalingrad.

Thanks Rick, I really don't have any concerns about originallity, just whether or not the awards that came with the doccument could actually part of a group. With the doccument was a German Gross in Gold, a 25 Bronze Panzer Badge, silver would badge, and Russian Campaign award. Unfortunately, no other doccuments.

It does appear that the D.R. is not for doctor, and the Russian front medal would make sense. So far so good. I guess the real question now is whether or not he qualified for the bronze panzer badge. Your assistance is greatly apperciated.

Edited by Larry Lipps

• 4 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

Thanks Rick, I really don't have any concerns about originallity, just whether or not the awards that came with the doccument could actually part of a group. With the doccument was a German Gross in Gold, a 25 Bronze Panzer Badge, silver would badge, and Russian Campaign award. Unfortunately, no other doccuments.

It does appear that the D.R. is not for doctor, and the Russian front medal would make sense. So far so good. I guess the real question now is whether or not he qualified for the bronze panzer badge. Your assistance is greatly apperciated.

Larry,

He would have definitely qualified for the Panzer Assault in Bronze if he was a FOO. With regards the 25 numbered badges I have seen a few (5-6) WPs over the years to various combat units of 23. Panzerdivision. Nearly all these are very late war awards - Detlev had one to a member of Pz Regt 23 this week. This leads me to beleive this divisionawarded quite a few as amtter of course in the final weeks of the war - in comparison I've only seen a few to other panzer divisions...and no 'multiples' like 23. Panzerdivision.