News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

This is a close-up detail of my grandfather at his wedding. I was wondering what the award is (at least there appears to be an award) next to his Iron Cross.

My grandfather was an Ober Veterinair. If anyone can identify the regiment from this picture that would be most excellent as well.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Chris

I think that is merely a wedding bouquet.

What's the postmark on the back of the card? What was your Opas' name?

Ulsterman,

ahh interesting, a wedding bouquet... My grandfather's name was Kurt Wilhelmy. It's from a photo, so no postmark is available.

Thanks!

Chris

Chris,

I can't be sure it's absolutely the same person, but how many Ober Veterin?r Wilhelmy's could there have been?

In the 1914 Prussian Rankliste on page 366 there is a Ob. Veter. Wilhelmy listed in K?rassier-Regiment Herzog Friedrich Eugen von W?rttemberg (Westpreu?isches) Nr.5.

As to his uniform, I believe Veterin?rs wore their own particular uniform, not a regimental uniform.

Edited by Mike Dwyer

I can't be sure it's absolutely the same person, but how many Ober Veterin?r Wilhelmy's could there have been?

In the 1914 Prussian Rankliste there is a Ob. Veter. Wilhelmy listed in K?rassier-Regiment Herzog Friedrich Eugen von W?rttemberg (Westpreu?isches) Nr.5.

As to his uniform, I believe Veterin?rs wore their own particular uniform, not a regimental uniform.

Mike,

Many thanks for that. What was throwing me was the uniform and how it is nothing like the 5th KR. I'm still waiting for a uniform reference CD I ordered to arrive.

Another item from the Ehren Rangliste of 1926 from the:

Wiederwerwendete Inaktive Offiziere: Rittmeister aD (page 741)

Has Wilhelmy listed as thus:

Wilhelmy (KR8) KR8

I have no idea what this means. A Look at KR8 doesn't have a Wilhelmy listed either in the 1914 or 1926 lists.

What does the KR8 in Parathensis mean?

In the same Ehren Ranglist, Wilhelmy is listed as the Ober Veterinair in KR5 (page 405).

This is, of course, made all the more challenging by the difficult to read German script.

Thanks,

Chris

Wilhelmy (KR8) KR8

I have no idea what this means. A Look at KR8 doesn't have a Wilhelmy listed either in the 1914 or 1926 lists.

What does the KR8 in Parathensis mean?

Chris,

I'm still very much learning things here, so I'm not much of an expert. I could be way off, but I would take that to mean, just as I believe you did, K?rassier-Regiment Graf Ge?ler (Rheinisches) Nr.8. It could be a mistake, or perhaps there was another Wilhelmy in that regiment, or maybe your grandfather was assigned to that unit for a short while. I just don't know. I don't have the 1926 list, only the 1914 one.

Guest Rick Research

I agree-- that is his bridegroom's flower stuck in next to his EK.

Page 741 is in the section of retired officers called back up for wartime duty. The units in (unit) there = the unit from which that officer RETIRED, and the unit following, his WW1 assignment. The problem with the Army Honor Rank List is, unless the officer was killed and so his unit was THAT on date of death, what is shown is either

1) his LAST wartime unit (might have retired in 1916... or who knows) OR

2) his unit on 11.11.18. An officer might have served the entire war up to 10 November 1918 in some other unit, but if he was transferred on the last day of the war, he shows THAT assignment. Then for the vast bulk of regimental officers, no actual wartime assignments are shown at all, only whether they survived or not.

I agree-- that is his bridegroom's flower stuck in next to his EK.

Page 741 is in the section of retired officers called back up for wartime duty. The units in (unit) there = the unit from which that officer RETIRED, and the unit following, his WW1 assignment. The problem with the Army Honor Rank List is, unless the officer was killed and so his unit was THAT on date of death, what is shown is either

1) his LAST wartime unit (might have retired in 1916... or who knows) OR

2) his unit on 11.11.18. An officer might have served the entire war up to 10 November 1918 in some other unit, but if he was transferred on the last day of the war, he shows THAT assignment. Then for the vast bulk of regimental officers, no actual wartime assignments are shown at all, only whether they survived or not.

Very interesting! Thanks.

The wedding photo is from 1920.

This one is circa 1903-1906 (we believe).

I also have a photo of him when he was in the Wehrmacht circa 1935 (Center rider)

Edited by Blackhorse