News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The mystery of the Type VII U-boat from the film U-571

Very interesting. I know Universal also made replicas in several sizes including a 45 foot long Type VII model for U-571. It was apparently sold off afterwards and the buyer toured around the Midwest with it on a trailer. No idea what subsequently happened to it.

Apparently several examples of each of the smaller models were manufactured

I've also seen a report that they borrowed some replicas from Bavaria Studio that were used in Das Boot.

Speaking of which there are two superb books on Das Boot which show the moedls used in the movie ( as well as some interesting shots from the wardrobe department of the grey U-Boat leathers being made up)

"Der Film "Das Boot" which has been around for a while now, and just published,

"Das Boot", auf der suche nach der Crew der U-96" - lots of colour shots in this one.

Both well worth getting. Text is in German but the photos make in well worth while.

Speaking of which there are two superb books on Das Boot which show the moedls used in the movie ( as well as some interesting shots from the wardrobe department of the grey U-Boat leathers being made up)

"Der Film "Das Boot" which has been around for a while now, and just published,

"Das Boot", auf der suche nach der Crew der U-96" - lots of colour shots in this one.

Both well worth getting. Text is in German but the photos make in well worth while.

Hi Gordon,

Do you have a link where I can get those books? BTW, I hope the guy with the replica will restore it. I would think that would be something a museum would want.

Regards,

Jody