News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

More Counterfeit, fantasy or original questions

Hello All,

I have some more Imperial German medals that I would like your opinions on. The cross, I'm told, is from 1873. It is marked as such on the reverse but I am wondering exactly what it is and is it actually just commemorating a battle or event from 1873 and issued at a later date. Would this be an official issue that was worn by the soldier or is this something that was sold to the general public? The ribbon is probably wrong.

The round medal is a shooting medal, I'm sure. On the reverse is stamped 2'Pr and A. I would assume it is for second place in a competition. Was this from between the wars and is it military? The shooter on the medal is in civilian clothing. Is this the correct ribbon?

I hope you can shed some light on my mystery.

Cheers. :cheers:

Brian

Brian,

the cross is for a Hanauer veterans organisation club, being strictly unofficial it would never have been worn on the uniform of a serving soldier.

Hanau is a town in Hessen, Germany with 89,000 inhabitants. Home of the brothers Grim. It is located 25 km east of Frankfurt am Main.

The second medal is indeed a II Place shooting prize, possibly a civil one at that, depending on where the club was located, the colours could denote Bavaria, blue and white being the State Colours. But there is no guarentee the ribbon is original to the medal.

Kevin in Deva

Edited by Kev in Deva