News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

This one has been in my collection for many years and I have recently been led to believe that it could be a reproduction produced in the 1970s. I see in Gordon Williamson's excellent new book on U-Boat collectibles that cloth versions were authorized and manufactured, known original examples being machine-embroidered in fine golden-yellow yarn on a blue oval wool patch; hand-embroidered in bullion wire, and a machine-woven "BeVo" pattern in gold wire thread on a dark blue artificial silk (rayon) base.

This example would appear to approximate the third type mentioned, machine-applied onto a blue oval woolen backing.

I would greatly appreciate opinions on this example shown as to probable period authenticity or not.

Thanks in advance,

John

John,

You will notice that my mention in "Torpedo Los!" of the existence of a BeVo style badge is qualified by the comment "All of the cloth versions have been heavily faked over the years, the woven version in particular, and indeed many feel that the woven version per se is a postwar invention".

The few I have examined were clearly postwar fakes, woven on a backing with modern man made fibre that melted if burned. However I know of highly experienced collectors who do believe in these and who have examples made from the correct "non-melt" materials (Rayon) unlike the obvious fakes which they are convinced are genuine.

Personally, however, I have never handled one myself that I would feel totally comfortable with but for now I keep an open mind on them.

Thank you very much, Gordon. I fully understand and respect your comments. This leaves me sufficient room to at least not want to pitch this one in the fake drawer. At the very least, it makes an interesting conversation piece and addition to my U-Boat grouping. Once again, thanks for your feedback.

Edited by John Burchell