News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bavarian Head-Gear? Field Cap?

Kevin,

While it sure is interesting, there is nothing in any literature or period photos that I know of that would substanciate its existence. If it truely was an issue piece, you would think there would be some knowledge or record of it out there. The German army of 1914 did not have an issued cloth visored cap. The gray chinstraps were not used on issued caps until after September of 1915. Finally, the Kammerstempel look to similar to me, that is to say, one does not normally see the various markings done in the same size and font. My only guess is that if it is of the period, it may be a captured cap (Bulgarian?) that has been "upgraded" by someone.

Chip

Chip, many thanks :cheers:

I cannot ever recall seeing any German State ever wearing such headgear either, it at first reminded me of a picture of British Style head-gear, but now you mention Bulgaria it has their look more so.

Kevin in Deva :cheers:

Apparently no one seems to think so. It ended without a bid. Bulgaria used a leather peak, so that rules them out. Looks to me that at one time it was British.

Kevin,

There was a similar looking canvas cap that was issued to the troops in Macedonia, but this was not even anticipated in 1914 and the cap was not wool. I'm still thinking about this, but I just can't come up with any logical explanations. The unit marking on the front of the cap would not be on it as issued, so it must have been added later. There were painted-on insignia during the war and they appeared on spiked helmet covers and trench helmets. So, it is not out of the realm of possibility that these numbers could have been done this way.

Chip

The gray flannel type lining on the inside looks British too. The seller has other questionable items, like a Swiss gray tunic that is identified as a Feldgrau German tunic. Funny, the ink stamped owner's name inside is "Bern". :lol::rolleyes:

Chip

Edited by Chip