News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Italy - Red Cross Medal

Hello Gents,

Can any of you guys give any more info on this Italian Red Cross medal, such as a date, please? It reads 'CROCE ROSSA ITALIANA' with 'R Consolato Gen. D'Italia Londra' hand etched underneath.

Many thanks,

Rob.

Hello Rob,

What you have is the "Medaglia dei Benemeriti per la Propaganda" of the Italian Red Cross. The reverse inscription seems to indicate it was awarded to the Italian Consulate-General in London.

Little is known about this medal but it would appear to have originated in the 1920's. Its name refers to "merit in furthering" the cause of the Red Cross.

Three types of this medal are known and they all have three grades : gold - silver and bronze. The 3 types are mainly distinguishable by their diameter (31.5 - 28 and 22 mm).

On the obverse, at about 8 o'clock you should be able to make out the designer's name of P. Tailetti.

And, if you spot a (very) small crowned letter "Z" somewhere, it means the Italian Mint produced it ... but other manufacturers did make it too.

Ribbon : supposed (!) to be white with tri-colour stripes in the Italian national colours at each side.

Cute one, Rob, ... what's the diameter ?

Cheers,

Hendrik

Do you know the date of this particular medal?

Its roughly 29mm in diameter.

Rob,

Nothing more definite datewise as that it was first "described" some time in the 1920's. The diameter seems to make it the middle of the 3 possible types. Just a guess : maybe the size grew smaller as Italy found itself a bit short in metal sources as its wars went on ? If so, that would could make yours a 1930's one ... anyway, in view of there being a consulate-general being present in London, I'd say a pre-WW2 award.

Cheers,

Hendrik

• 3 months later...

it would appear to have originated in the 1920's. Its name refers to "merit in furthering" the cause of the Red Cross.

Three types of this medal are known and they all have three grades : gold - silver and bronze. The 3 types are mainly distinguishable by their diameter (31.5 - 28 and 22 mm).

Just got hold of another source on this medal : Decorazioni e Distintivi della Croce Rossa Italiana by Alberto Galazzetti and Filippo Lombardi (ISBN 88-7364-038-9) which states the medal was created in 1916 in three classes (gold, silver and bronze) in two diametres : 28 and 22 mm.

Later, in 1928, sizes were reviewed for the gold class only : 28, 22 and 18 mm.

Thus, no mention of the 31.5 mm diametre ...

The ribbon is white with the Italian tricolour at each edge.

This type of medal was replaced by the Republic's model in 1959

Cheers,

Hendrik

• 11 months later...

Just got hold of another source on this medal : Decorazioni e Distintivi della Croce Rossa Italiana by Alberto Galazzetti and Filippo Lombardi (ISBN 88-7364-038-9) which states the medal was created in 1916 in three classes (gold, silver and bronze) in two diametres : 28 and 22 mm.

Cheers,

Hendrik

Thanks for the update Hendrik!

Cheers,

Rob

• 5 months later...

I have another version of a similar medal with the Croce Rossa insignia. It seems to date from 1902 per the inscription. It is heavy silver and just under 7 cm in diameter. The full Text around the edge reads: AI BENEMERITI DELLA CROCE ROSSA ITALIANA. The engraved inscription reads: Florio, CAV Vincenzo, Torneo Palermo 1902. I've included an image with this message. I'll have to try the other side in a new message.

Cheers,

Hendrik

This is shows the front side of the medal.

Rob,

... anyway, in view of there being a consulate-general being present in London, I'd say a pre-WW2 award.

Cheers,

Hendrik

Yes, moreover the R in 'R Consolato Gen. D'Italia Londra' inscription is for Royal.

Also the Z for Regia Zecca have a little royal crown on top. On 1959 the crown is less...

IP

• 2 years later...

Hello -- I am a new member and was just looking through some of the articles and came across yours regarding this large, silver Italian Red Cross medal. I'm not sure, after such a long time, if you are still an active member or if you revisit this particular conversation. If you are still "there", I'd like to know, do you still own this item? If so, and you find my note, I'd like to talk about the medal with you. Thanks very much. --- Tom

I have another version of a similar medal with the Croce Rossa insignia. It seems to date from 1902 per the inscription. It is heavy silver and just under 7 cm in diameter. The full Text around the edge reads: AI BENEMERITI DELLA CROCE ROSSA ITALIANA. The engraved inscription reads: Florio, CAV Vincenzo, Torneo Palermo 1902. I've included an image with this message. I'll have to try the other side in a new message.