News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medals to crew of U.S.S. Reuben James

After listening to the song on my way to work, I wondered about the medal entitlement of the crew of this ship.

Obviously all but 44 won the Purple Heart the hard way. Those who survived probably went on to qualify for WWII service medals.

I see that the Reuben James is listed as qualifying for the letter A on their American Defense Service Medal, and presumably the "Fleet" bar as well.

Anything I might have missed?

After listening to the song on my way to work, I wondered about the medal entitlement of the crew of this ship.

Obviously all but 44 won the Purple Heart the hard way. Those who survived probably went on to qualify for WWII service medals.

I see that the Reuben James is listed as qualifying for the letter A on their American Defense Service Medal, and presumably the "Fleet" bar as well.

Anything I might have missed?

Hello,

This is a very interesting question. Did the crew members of the USS Reuben James receive the Purple Heart? The ship was sunk in October 1941, before Pearl Harbor. The Navy only changed regulations allowing for the awarding the Purple Heart in 1942 or 1943, made retroactive to 7 December 1941. Under these provisions, the crew of the Reuben James would not have been eligible for the medal. Does anyone know if the regulations were later amended to include obvious W.W.II casaulties who were killed before 7 Dec. 1941?

-- Ed Maier

Hello,

This is a very interesting question. Did the crew members of the USS Reuben James receive the Purple Heart? The ship was sunk in October 1941, before Pearl Harbor. The Navy only changed regulations allowing for the awarding the Purple Heart in 1942 or 1943, made retroactive to 7 December 1941. Under these provisions, the crew of the Reuben James would not have been eligible for the medal. Does anyone know if the regulations were later amended to include obvious W.W.II casaulties who were killed before 7 Dec. 1941?

-- Ed Maier

It seems they must have been. This site http://www.reuben-james.navy.mil/history.htm has a Purple Heart Citation to a member of the Reuben James.

It seems they must have been. This site http://www.reuben-james.navy.mil/history.htm has a Purple Heart Citation to a member of the Reuben James.

Michael,

Thanks for the link and information. Its interesting to note that the Purple Heart listed was not awarded until March 1945. That leads me to believe that the government amended the regulations for awarding the Purple Heart to the Navy sometime later in the war to cover those obviously killed in W.W.II but before 7 Dec. 1941.

Thanks again,

Ed Maier

• 3 weeks later...

Michael,

Thanks for the link and information. Its interesting to note that the Purple Heart listed was not awarded until March 1945. That leads me to believe that the government amended the regulations for awarding the Purple Heart to the Navy sometime later in the war to cover those obviously killed in W.W.II but before 7 Dec. 1941.

Thanks again,

Ed Maier

Besides the Reuben James there were also fatalities aboard the U.S.S. Kearney, also on convoy duty.