News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Storing Bayonets/Swords and displaying bayonets

I've just remembered a few bayonets that I have lying back home on a shelf in a huge victorian display cabinet. I realise that in 2 years, these friends of mine have not had a drop of oil and are now eagerly waiting for my return!

My treatment is usually to wipe them clean with a dry cloth and then wipe again with some gun oil, leaving a very thin filmto protect the steel. The lie there closed in the diplay cabinet to minimise the amount of dust.

Now I was once told that oil and dust together are a good way of leading to rusty items. The dust sticks to the oil which then retains humidity. Over time, this is supposedely a killer. However, regular cleaning does ensure that the oil film is not penetrated in any way at all and serves to protect the steel.

My question is - what's everybody doing to keep their bayonets/swords looking good? Are there better ways of preserving bayonets/swords? How are you storing or displaying your bayonets/swords?

Please share!

Jim :cheers:

And as important as the bayonet and sword is the sheath!

How are you treating sheaths especially ones made of leather, which sometimes have a habit of drying up and hardening or even worse....cracking?

Jim :cheers: