News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

GURKHA VETERAN WANTS BRITAIN TO DO MORE.

Gurkha vet wants Britain to do more

By Sam Taylor AFP - Monday, April 16KATHMANDU (AFP) -

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/20070416/tuk-...st-a7ad41d.html

Britain's Gurkha regiment used to sow such fear in the hearts of Argentine soldiers in the Falklands that they preferred to surrender rather than fight the knife-wielding Nepalese mountain men.

But as Britain marks the 25th anniversary of the recapture of the islands, conflict veteran San Bahadur Tamang has accused his former masters of discrimination, saying he deserves more for his sacrifices.

"Like me, many ex-British Gurkha soldiers are still languishing despite the fact that we were once a part of the British army," the 51-year-old former sergeant told AFP.

Tamang says he gets a pension of around 100 pounds (200 dollars) a month, far below that received by his British former colleagues and a figure he says is not enough to support his family.

He is also denied the automatic right to reside in Britain, a country he served for 17 years.

"This is very discriminatory and we deserve much more," said Tamang, wearing a smart blazer, a tie with images of the famed Gurkha Kukuri knife and five British medals pinned to his chest.

The British first became aware of the Gurkhas in 1815 when they sent an expeditionary force to try and take over the hilly region of Gorkha in what is now central Nepal.

Impressed by the ferocity of their fighting and their good nature, the British began to recruit the hill warriors for their army, and the Gurkhas have fought in nearly every major British military engagement since.

Around 200,000 Gurkhas fought for the British in the first and second world wars; some 43,000 were killed or wounded. Today there are around 3,500 Gurkhas serving in the British army.

Tamang smiles as he recalls his time on the windswept and icy South Atlantic battleground of the Falklands.

"Many colleagues were injured in Argentinian mortar attacks. But just before engaging them in battle we heard that they had surrendered," said the softly-spoken veteran.

Perhaps the Argentine forces had seen pictures released by the British defence ministry showing smiling Gurkhas sharpening their long, curved Kukuri knives, used to great effect in hand-to-hand combat for centuries.

"I think the Argentinians were scared of us because of our fierce fighting skills. They had the notion that Gurkha soldiers live in the jungle and were cannibals... this must have scared them to death," said Tamang.

Nepal remains one of the poorest countries on the planet, and there is fierce competition here for the 230 British army positions offered annually -- this year over 14,600 Nepali men applied.

Although Tamang does not regret his time in the British army, he resents the treatment meted out since his retirement.

According to rules dating back to 1947, he receives a pension linked to that paid to Nepali Gurkhas serving in the Indian army.

Last month, the British defence ministry announced a shake-up in pay and conditions for Gurkhas which means that those currently serving will be entitled to the same salary, benefits and pensions as their British colleagues.

The new rules affect only those Gurkhas who retired after 1997 when their base moved from Hong Kong to Britain. For Tamang, who retired in 1992, and thousands like him, nothing has changed.

"It is good that the new generation is getting the benefits, but we should not be ignored," said Tamang, whose father also served in the famed regiment.

"All ex-British Gurkhas should get equal pensions and settlement rights and our children should get opportunities to work in the UK.

"The pension I am getting today is not enough even by Nepali standards. I don't have any side jobs. With that amount I have to raise my kids, educate them and make a living for my whole family which is very difficult," he said.

The British government has said that those who served as Gurkhas before the move from Hong Kong back to Britain are not eligible for residence because they cannot "demonstrate the close ties" to Britain required under immigration law.

Some 2,500 retired Gurkhas and widows protested in London earlier this month for increased rights for those discharged before 1997.

Tamang believes that because the Gurkhas faced the same risks and challenges as their British comrades, they should be entitled to equal benefits.

"We worked under the British military rules and regulations," he said. "Wherever we were dispatched, we were told that we were a part of the British army."

- - - - END OF ARTICLE - - - - -

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

Edited by Kev in Deva