News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Three Tommies in the Agony of the Somme

lazyschnauzer

This is a commission from a NYC collector, Mr. Martin Fine. He's actually become more of a patron and friend. This is the third vignette he's asked me to do and the most interesting and best subject so far.

It is based on this illustration by an unknown artist. It was published in John Ellis' fine book on trench warfare, Eye Deep in Hell.

Due to the size limit on attachments, please follow me into the next post to see my work in progress on the vignette.

All the best,

Dan

OK - next installment. As I said this is work in progress. Since making these photos I've made about another long week-end's progress and it's starting to come together. The key thing in this vignette is that both of the standing Tommies need to appear to be struggling and off-balance. In the second photo, one of the figures is actually leaning too much. I didn't notice it when I took the photo. Anyways - off balance but not falling...:)

Hope you like it!

All the best,

Dan

Edited by lazyschnauzer

Many thanks, Jon! It's coming along nicely. I'm starting to fit the field equipment and weapons on the figures. It's always nice to get to this stage because I can see how the pieces will come together finally. This weekend I'm at the MFCA show at Valley Forge, PA, so won't be making any changes to it. I'm hoping to put six figures into the competition.

All the best,

Dan

Douglynn: I will definitely keep updating and thanks for asking! Your encouragement is much appreciated! This weekend I won't get much done because I'll be in Philadelphia / Valley Forge at the Military Figure Collectors of America exhibition. But as soon as possible!

In the meantime, if you are interested in military figures, fantasy, figure sculpting and painting, etc., may I suggest going to Planetfigure.com? Right now there are 3 or 4 good WWI vignettes under development. Lots of fun!

All the best,

Dan