News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello all,

Some time ago I posted a topic asking some info about this maker.

Now with a proper camera I could take some pics of what I belive is this maker marks.

What do you think about it?

It?s on a Imperial Order of Vila Vi?osa (Portugal)

Thanks in advance,

Ricardo

Hello Ricardo

Looks like "C.F. ROTHE" to me. I just added a picture comming from a Serbian White Eagle order from the pre 1903 period with the Rothe makers mark on it.

regards

Milan

And this one...seems to be ROTHE but there?s something more?

Ricardo Rothe was one of the makers which has produced during quite a long period as the business was staying for several generations in "family" hands. Ulimately a couple of years ago the last two Rothe ladys sold the business in Vienna. At the end it was only a shop for ribbons and some loose parts of old orders and medals.

A more complet history you would find in the Jacobs book "Jewelers of the World". I know another article on Rothe but unfortunately for you it's written in Serbian and I would definitely not having the time (at the moment) to make a translation.

I know that this summer a new and very professionaly made book on Serbian orders will be published in Serbian, English and German language. And this book will contain a large section dealing with all important order-makers from Vienna.

Sorry this was :off topic:

Now back to your question, I would locate the marks as seen on your or my pictures in the 1898 to 1914 period. Looking at my older Rothe items the punch marks have been different, befor it was a simple FR punch mark (for Friedrich Rothe). And my items starting at 1898 which I have with the according awarding documents have those marks as seen.

Regards

Milan

PS: some more pictures on Serbian orders under www.orden.stojanovic.ch

Hi Milan,

GREAT IMAGE! Thank you so much. I think the mistery is over :jumping:

Can we take the period (PRE 1903) to my order too??

Thanks,

Ricardo

Dear Ricardo

there is only one thing to say "muy lindo" :jumping::jumping:

A wonderfully designed and programmed website. Did you done all the work by yourself ? And the pictures are perfect, I am always in fight with the reflexions on the enameled surfaces. I don't know what I have NOT tried out already. Maybe you can give me some hints.

regards

Milan

Milan, thanks for your information and images!!

It helped A LOT!

Take a look at my website about brazilian orders www.ommb.com.br

Portuguese only, I?m afraid :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Ricardo

Hi Milan!! Thanks for your kind words!

I did all the artwork and images, a friend of mine worked on the code.

Well, I used a Sony Cybershot 6MP. All you have to do is take the pictures under the daylight (not over sunlight) and adjust the camera to take MACRO pics.

A white background is also desirable...

There?s some wonderful Serbian orders on your website :speechless: The Order of Milosh the Great is amazing!!!!!

Cheers,

Ricardo