News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Legion Condor Commanders' headgear

Jacques

The three Commanders of the Legion Condor, SPEERLE, VOLKMANN and von RICHTHOFEN have worn a special visor cap. It is a Spanish high level officer wide and flat top cap. it show the spanish rank insignia of General on the top, and a Lw eagle on the stripe. the color might be brown with gold piping.

Richthofen and Volkmann cap's eagle has no swastica.

Guest Brian von Etzel

von Richthofen prefered the spanish overseas cap, with spanish rank and LW gold embroidered eagle without swastica.

Any historical reference as to the lack of Hackenkreuz? That's an odd thing that's made me wonder for a few years.

I assume this was done to de-Germanize the troops and make them look more like Franco volunteers?

Edited by Brian von Etzel

von Richthofen prefered the spanish overseas cap, with spanish rank and LW gold embroidered eagle without swastica.

Note that the pic of Richthofen with peaked cap has been retouched from a LW pic.

Richthofen used a peaked cap in the return trip to Germany, but the design was different than those of Sperrle and Volkmann.

Best regards

were these three - sperrle, volkman, and von richthofen

also the three recipients of the spanish military medal with diamonds?

i greatly enjoy these condor legion threads!? thanks.

joe

they were awarded the spanish cross in gold with diamonds. Does somebody knows pics showing G?ring awarding the cross to Speerle and Volkmann.

Both were on the raw in Hamburg on 31 May for the parade, but I don't know if they were awarded the cross that day or on June the 4th in D?beritz.

jacques

There was no decoration with that name...  angry.gif

i refer you to page 222 of Legion Condor Uniforms, Organization

and History by roger bender.

"The three commanders of Legion Condor (Sperrle, Volkman, and von Richthofen)

were awarded a special class of this medal with brilliants".( this paragraph is

in reference to the Spanish Military Medal(Militarmedaille)).

sorry, but i'm stickin' with my original statement, panzerpionier.

jacques, thanks for the link!

joe

Edited by joe campbell

i refer you to page 222 of  Legion Condor Uniforms, Organization

and History by roger bender.

sorry, but i'm stickin' with my original statement, panzerpionier.

Please post a scan of the original Spanish regulations that established that medal. I will be happy to be educated about the decorations of my own country by a foreigner.

Best regards

Edited by Panzerpionier

Bender's book "Legion Condor Uniforms, Organization

and History" is excellent, but as every one, it contains some errors, due to lack of documentation at this time, or other reasons. Indeed these high rank officers seem to wear on some pics (I remember not where I saw them) the Military Medal with a kind of diamond wreath (Spanish high commanders wore it too). nevertheless, this is against spanish regulations. Jewelers' made, private purchase, ? I can't answer this , but it should be interesting !

May be we can open a thread about these special class of Military Medal.

jacques

i seem to have touched a nerve.

please educate me, as i have always enjoyed/admired

the decorations of the Legion Condor.

by the way, i have a number of variations of the

iron cross which have no specific enabling regulations,

but are quite real.

and please don't assume because i am an american that

i am an expert on the congrssional medal of honor.

my apologies. my intent was NEVER to annoy.

joe

Please fellows, cool down beer.gif ! No matter to become nervous in that forum. As I say: "rester calme et boire frais" !

I'm not at home to search and post some pics to illustrate this thread.I open another thread to deal with this diamonds upgraded spanish Military Medal.

jacques

To follow on the original topic, this picture shows SPEERLE during the 6 June Berlin parade with a different cap than on the previous picture taken in Spain. This one doen't show any egle but only the spanish insignia.

jacques

I want to add add that using the German name of a Spanish decoration on a book written in English (Milit?rmedaille) makes no sense. Think about this: I write a book in English about the Spanish Blue Squadrons in the Eastern Front... which paragrapgh sounds better?

(a) Spanish pilots were awarded the German Operational Flying Clasp in Silver (Broche por Vuelos Operacionales en Plata)

(b) Spanish pilots were awarded the German Operational Flying Clasp in Silver (Frontflugspange im Silber).

© Spanish pilots were awarded the German Operational Flying Clasp in Silver (Frontflugspange im Silber, known as Broche por Vuelos Operacionales en Plata by the Spanish personnel).

My vote goes for (b), but of course © is even better.

I want to add add that using the German name of a Spanish decoration on a book written in English (Milit?rmedaille) makes no sense. Think about this: I write a book in English about the Spanish Blue Squadrons in the Eastern Front... which paragrapgh sounds better?

(a) Spanish pilots were awarded the German Operational Flying Clasp in Silver (Broche por Vuelos Operacionales en Plata)

(b) Spanish pilots were awarded the German Operational Flying Clasp in Silver (Frontflugspange im Silber).

? Spanish pilots were awarded the German Operational Flying Clasp in Silver (Frontflugspange im Silber, known as Broche por Vuelos Operacionales en Plata by the Spanish personnel).

My vote goes for (b), but of course ? is even better.

Please note that I am not actually writing a book... it was just a (silly) example...

Edited by Panzerpionier