News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Swedish badge ?

It?s the ?skyttem?rke? (badge for shooting) for the volunteer marksman society, it was established in 1893. If you look at the back you can see a bunch of stamps. If you can find a letter/number combination, like i.e. E8, I can tell you when it was made. They are still given out by the society today.

/Kim

If I'm not mistaken, that badge is made in 18K gold. I've seen a couple of them, but have no idea about their significance. The standard issue was produced in non-magnetic basemetal with a magnetic pin. I would assume Sporrong was the major producer (the typical double twist in the pin connecting to the hinge is found on most of their shooting badges, 2nd image), but other firms most likely produced them as well (can be seen in 1st image).

The two other badges are still a mystery to me. The center badge is almost identical, except for the lack of crowns and different size. Could they perhaps be early pieces or was the crown-design developed as early as 1893?

KR

Peter

The badges came in different classes, steel, bronze, silver and gold (1941). Depending of what points (counted from hits on the target) the shooter could qualify for the next level. Starting from steel, if he passed the requirements, and moving up from there.

As you know Peter information on Swedish badges are not that great. But from a couple of ?soldatinstruktion? I found one of your badges. The books were issued in 1904 and 1909. So sometime between those years the badge changed. Notice the army version to the left, with an extra crown.

/Kim

Hello Peter and Kim,

Many thanks for your quick reaction and interesting information ! The badge is indeed 18 carat gold and next to the 18K mark, I seem to discern "R7" (= 1904 ?).

On the left side of the reverse are some letters which I think are "E Lh." and "M" ... I hope those ring a bell with you !

As this is a gift from a friend, I wouldn't dream of parting with it but I would appreciate an idea of its current value/rarity to military collectors.

Cheers and thanks again,

Hendrik

Hi Hendrik,

The year would be 1919, if marked R7. As for the value, I've seen them for sale at around gold value. I've also seen the genuine gold badge with a pendant, showing the year it was awarded.

Interesting info Kim. There might be a plausible scenario for the change in design i.g. the abolition of the Union in 1905. The addition of crowns clearly indicated them being Swedish.

The illustration of the military type raises another question. All three classes are referred to regarding the civil type, but only the bronze class is shown on the military type. There is a silver class as well (I know because I have one), but as of yet I've failed to find any in the gold class. Have you any knowledge in a gold version?

P.S. To all Norwegians, 17th of May, you all have a great day :beer:

KR

Peter

Edited by Peter J

As usual when you get information from strange sources it isn?t that reliable. The ?soldatinstruktion? were outdated, not uncommon. The new (current) version of the badge was established in 1901, according to ?Svensk Uppslagsbok? (Swedish Encyclopaedia). It was also established in 1890, forget the other info that came from the society's web page.

I don?t think there is a gold version of the army badge. The encyclopaedia has a rather good article on this subject and it only mentions the bronze and silver class. It?s printed in 1963.

I can only concur with Peter on the year and value of your badge Hendrik.

/Kim

Kim, how very true, the perpetual dilemma for us collectors :banger:

Hendrik, in case you ever consider collecting Swedish shooting badges, here are a few examples you might want to look for. The bad news, there are actually more ;)

KR

Peter