News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mystery Ribbon Bar

My focus is US and East German insignia collecting. But recently I received a four ribbon bar as part of a lot of US, East German and Canadian insignia. It's unusual as it appears to be a mix of medals from several countries including a Belgium or French Croix de Guerre, US Good Conduct Medal and British Atlantic Star and I have no idea what the first ribbon in the bar is. All of the ribbons appear to be sewn or glued to a single cloth backing, so it appears to be a British style bar. Can anyone shed any light on what the ribbons on the bar actually are? I've posted a photo below. Thanks. Kevin

This is perhaps the most immensely bizarre thing I have seen in 40 years of medal collecting.

My reading would be:

1- Singapore General Service Medal

2- France Croix de Guerre WWI era

3- US Army Good Conduct Medal

4- UK Atlantic Star

This makes NO SENSE AT ALL

1no_way.gif

Thanks Ed, I was going thru my extremely old copy of Guido Rosignoli's Ribbons of Orders, Decorations and Medals trying to ID that first ribbon. Here is the back side. It appears to have been glued to something at one time. Kevin

A seriously strange bar indeed :speechless1:

I have found three similiar ribbons (that match the GCM) that are equally as farfetched as the GCM.

1) Canada - Royal Canadian Legion - Ladies Auxillary - Past Officer

2) Jordan - Medal in Memory of War 1939-45

3) Republic of Korea - Order of National Security Merit - 3rd Class (missing the taeguk device) - Cheonsu

Honestly I think it might have been made for theatrical or film. :rolleyes:

Edited by David S

A seriously strange bar indeed :speechless1:

I have found three similiar ribbons (that match the GCM) that are equally as farfetched as the GCM.

1) Canada - Royal Canadian Legion - Ladies Auxillary - Past Officer

2) Jordan - Medal in Memory of War 1939-45

3) Republic of Korea - Order of National Security Merit - 3rd Class (missing the taeguk device) - Cheonsu

Honestly I think it might have been made for theatrical or film. :rolleyes:

Think you are right about cinematic use, David.

And, by the way, while something like this ribbon is seen on the Jordanian medal, it is NOT the official one and its use cannot be documented.

And, by the way, while something like this ribbon is seen on the Jordanian medal, it is NOT the official one and its use cannot be documented.

That's interesting. So the Green & Blue ribbon is the official?

Thanks!

That's interesting. So the Green & Blue ribbon is the official?

Thanks!

Yes. This ribbon may be some sort of commemorative usage, or another category, though no one in Amman has been able to document anything other than the green/blue. Until I see the official notifications, I tend to take "urban legend" with a very large chunk of salt.

Owain might know more.