News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Scottish Service Dress

Hi guys,

Picked up this SD and kilt this weekend. I have never handled a Scottish SD or kilt before so all opinions and information is appreciated.

I believe this to be a WWII era SD with the kit in the Lorne Scots pattern. There are no markings at all in the SD and the kilt is marked as in the photo's.

What are the cloth loops for on the kilt? I know the kilts with buttons were to were with BD and attach to the holes in the bottom of the BD.

• 3 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

What are the shoulder patches for? Those look like frontline "security" (no unit designation) formation patches I've seen in WW1 photographs.

Hi guys,

I have been told the loops were for supporting the sporran belt or vice versa. If you have a look at the hanger(which I believe is an original hanger for the kilt) it has two closures at to clip onto both sides of the kilt. A collector from another site who is familiar with kilt wear provided that information.

The shoulder insignia are 3rd Division Occupation Force, I think.

It's interesting that you mention the "security" angle though, as the the "Lorne Scots provided a Ground Defence Platoon for each Brigade HQ in the CAOF (as they did for other Canadian divisions too)". Information provided by another collector.

There is some confusion surrounding this insignia as the Occupation Force insignia I have seen has the small strip above the Divisional patch. Could this have been for Security force??

Rick, any chance you could post a pic of the insignia you mentioned?

Edited by jholl72

Hi guys,

I have been told the loops were for supporting the sporran belt or vice versa. If you have a look at the hanger(which I believe is an original hanger for the kilt) it has two closures at to clip onto both sides of the kilt. A collector from another site who is familiar with kilt wear provided that information.

I may be wrong about the loops being for hanging but they are very unlikely to be for the sporran belt. A sporran belt is too small to support a kilt, which is fitted anyweay so it won't fall down, and the belt, properly worn, starts below the top of the kilt at the back and crosses the hips on a downward angle, essentially held in place by the weight of the sporran and the wearer's hips. Check some photos of kilties and I think you'll see what I mean.

My tuppence 'orth

Peter

Guest Rick Research

I don't have any, have just seen what looked like similar plain geometric patches in photos. (Germans sometimes did the same thing too.)

Occupation Force as in post-1945? Or post-1918? Or ?

Those seem a bit ... bland... for peacetime patches!