News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

7cm Uchiage Sosoku-dan Mortar Shell

mmiller

I have come accross an interesting piece of Japanese (inert) ordnance. This is what is called a "7cm Uchiage Sosoku-dan" and was a neat little secret weapon devised to counter low flying aircrft on a strafe run. These were shot from special mortar tubes as enemy planes come in for the attack, and will break into 7pieces in mid air, each of which will float on parachutes. The idea was for the low attacking aircraft snagging these parachutes or it's lines which will detonate the ordnance.

The translation of characters is roughly as follows:

Line:

1 - Seven

2- Obsolete military measurement ?

3 & 4 Together- Launch

5- To block, or protect

6- To protect the fortress

5 & 6 Together- Barrage Balloon

7- Bullet

I am interested in selling this round. Any idea what kind of interest there may be in something very rare and unique, such as this? The tube is empty, with the exception of what looks to be fuse material, coiled in the very bottom of the casing.

Pictures to be attached.

Regards,

Mark

I found some additional info, searching on the 'net'.

AA Mine Discharger

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Parachute mines deployingThe AA Mine Discharger was a Japanese anti-aircraft weapon of the Second World War. The device was a simple tube like an infantry mortar of 70 mm or 81 mm caliber. Instead of a standard mortar bomb the projectile was a tube containing the 7 individual mines each approximately 11/16ths of an inch in diameter (18 mm) and 3 inches long (75 mm). Each mine was equipped with its own parachute. When fired, the mortar threw the shell to a range of 3,000 to 4,000 feet (900 to 1,200 m) and a maximum altitude of approximately 600 m. The shell ejected the mines at the top of its arc. They would then float down on their parachutes. They were fused to detonate on contact or after a fixed time period, damaging nearby aircraft.

It could also be used like a simple cluster bomb by firing over enemy troops.

• 2 years later...

Hello, I might be interested in buying this. My email address is Smashcrasher(at)yahoo(dot)com. I am unable to contact you directly through this website for some reason. Interesting item. Jim

The seller has sold the item. The present owner, if you ever read this, I have very good japanese ordnance trade items available. Including an original japanese tapemeasure mine and magnetic mine (both are original and not US training models) My email is Smashcrasher(at)yahoo(dot)com.

Edited by JCB

Hello. Thanks for the reply. I do collect japanese militaria with special interest in Ordnance but I do not have stripper clip ammo of any kind. I have nothing worth mentioning as far as MG or rifle ammo. For the most part I collect ammo larger than 20mm. Actually, my main interest is Japanese flags, headgear and ordnance, especially grenades, mines and bombs. I assume you are the new owner of this 70mm shell, maybe in the future we can do a deal, either some kind of trade or an outright sell. I am interested. Please keep me in mind! Jim.................Smashcrasher(at)yahoo(dot)com

Edited by JCB