News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Named WWI Military Cross

I bought this at a large gun show back in 94 it is cased and came with a typed paper noting that the award was listed in the Supplt. to the London Gazette 1.2.1919. Acording to the enclosed note he Led a led two platoons and cleared over 2000 yards of German trenches including 18 dug-outs, captured 100 prisoners, 8 heavy and 4 light maching guns and 2 anti tank rifles. I always wondered if this is true discription for the award? At the time it just seemed a gallentry award that fit into my collecting sphere at the time.

I understand that the medal would have to have been privately engraved, and I would like to find out if he actually preformed what is did what was listed in the accompanying note.

I tried to look him up on the net with the Gazette but could not get it to look at that date. Oh to be a computer savy person.

Regards

Jim

Let me see what I can find. The online London Gazette is notoriously cranky. And additional problem comes when some researchers/collectors record the actual date of the gazette (which you can find easily) and some record only the date of the notification (which you can't find).

The best source for a full recommendation will be the war diary of his unit, and these are held in the National Archives at Kew, just outside London.

Named MCs can be tricky for, as you said, all that are named have been done privately, and you can never be 100% sure when the naming was done, then or last week.

London Gazette, 31 January 1919 (published 1 February 1919), p. 1655

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

"2nd Lt. Herbert Robert Davis, 2nd Bn., Lond.R.

"For conspicuous gallantry and good leadership near Oisy-le-Verger on 27th September, 1918. He cleared over 2,000 yards of trench, system, including 18 dug-outs, a large wood and a cemetery. He skilfully outflanked machine guns and snipers, in one case having to make four distinct attacks before capturing an obstinate machine-gun post. His two platoons captured in all 100 prisoners, eight heavy and four light machine guns, and two anti-tank rifles."

Edited by Ed_Haynes

He is, by the way, not listed in the CWGC casualty rolls, so the chances are high that he suvived the war.

Next stop?

1- His MIC medal card, available online at National Archives (for a fee)

2- War Diaries, at the National Archives

3- Regimental histories

And, also, a good close look at the naming by someone familiar with his regiment.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Guest Rick Research

:speechless1: Hardly seems ENOUGH, but then his rank cut him off from anything else but a V.C. I suppose. :banger: In the American or Austro-Hungarian armies he'd have gotten a Distinguished Service Cross or an Order of the Iron Crown 3rd Class with War Decoration and Swords--well up the awards system from the "bottom" award to officers.

It would be interesting to tie this into the GERMAN regiment this "British Sergeant York" faced.

He is not in the 1935 British edition of "Who's Who?"