News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dear forum members!

I am looking for some information about Kapitanleutnant and Pour-le-Merite-Winner Wolfgang Steinbauer. Does anyone have a complete list of his awards and decorations? Any info about his assignments and promotions will be very useful.

I find next Info about him from search sources:

Born: 06.05.1888 in Strassburg/Elsass

Died: 27.01.1978 in Koeln

Ranks: Seekadett (01.04.1908), Fahnrich zur See (?), Leutnant zur See (?), Oberleutnant zur See (19.09.1914), Kapitanleutnant (28.04.1918), Korvettenkapitan (?), Fregattenkapitan (?).

Entered Navy: 01.04.1908

SMS Pommern: 1914

U-Boot course: 1915

W/O U35: 1915

C/O UB47: 04.07.1916 - 31.03.1917

C/O UB48: 11.06.1917 - 28.10.1918

Retired: 16.02.1920

Decorations & Awards: Pour le merite (03.03.1918), HHOX (09.01.1917), EK I & EK II, BMV4X.

Thanks

Igor

Guest Rick Research

He was on SMS Pommern from at least 1910 until the war started.

Lt zS 27.9.11 B2b

his promotion date as Oberlt zS indicates he did not hold an Abitur diploma.

He would have been bumped up a rank with all the other living Pour le Merite winners on Tannenbergtag, 27 August 1939, so that is presumably when he made KKzS aD. As a zV officer during the Second war, not in any published rank list.

His other WW1 awards include at least a Turkish Liakat Medal in Silver with Sabers and the Turkish War Medal star aka Gallipoli Star aka Iron Half Moon, but I cannot identify any other awards from the one wartime photo I have seen of him-- probably more Turkish and Austro-Hungarian, given his Uboat service.

He was Member # 2233 of the Marine Offizier Verband.

In 1928 and 1931 representative of the North German Lloyd (NDL) shipping line in Buenos Aires.

1935 back home in Cologne as NDL general representative for the Rhineland

1937 oddly worded Leader of the NDL General Agents FOR CUBA in Cologne

1939 NDL representaive for the Rhineland and Westphalia in Cologne.

His wife Hertha was born 18 March 1905.

in 1960 and 1963 he was still employed, by the Reinard Schwartner Construction Materials company in Cologne.

His other WW1 awards include at least a Turkish Liakat Medal in Silver with Sabers and the Turkish War Medal star aka Gallipoli Star aka Iron Half Moon, but I cannot identify any other awards from the one wartime photo I have seen of him-- probably more Turkish and Austro-Hungarian, given his Uboat service.

He received the Austro-Hungarian Order of the Iron Crown 3rd Class with War Decoration in 1917. Presumably, that means he already also had an Austro-Hungarian Military Merit Cross 3rd Class with War Decoration, but I don't have a list of those.

Guest Rick Research

That would have been in 1909-- roughly 1 year after joining the navy, but that is a gap in my Rank Lists.