News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hausorden der Herzogliche Haus Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha

While this isn't actually imperial, since it's dealing with today and not the past, I found this kind of interesting. I almost hesitated to post this since I've noticed there are some who seem to have a misunderstanding of the facts on how legitimate house orders work today, but I couldn't pass up this opportunity since it's the only German house order I've seen discussed on the Internet so far.

The ducal house of Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha has a fairly new website. They used to have one that I visited on occasion but yesterday I found that it was gone. Through some searching I found the new, much bigger, site. Unfortunately the new site isn't in English yet, but I guess it will be coming. It's located at http://www.sachsen-coburg-gotha.de/?Das_Herzogshaus

Anyway, there is a section in there on the Hausorden, there is even a photo of the current head of the house, Prinz Andreas, and his heir, Erbprinz Hubertus, wearing the grand cordon of the Hausorden. The page on the Hausorden lists the Ordenkanzler as Dr. Otto Fugmann.

Here's the text from the webpage:

Hausorden

Hausorden haben im Haus Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha eine lange Tradition.

Der heutige "Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha'sche Hausorden" geht auf den "Orden der deutschen Redlichkeit" aus dem Jahre 1689 (andere Quellen: 1690) zur?ck.

Gegr?ndet wurde der "Orden der deutschen Redlichkeit" von Herzog Friedrich I. von Sachsen-Gotha in Andenken an seinen Vater, Herzog Ernst den Frommen. Dieser Orden gilt als der erste deutsche weltliche Ritterorden (vgl. Nimmergut, J?rg, Deutsche Orden und Ehrenzeichen bis 1945, S. 1369, 1999) (vereinzelt wird er sogar als "erster deutscher Orden" bezeichnet, vgl. Burg, Paul, Der Orden der deutschen Redlichkeit, Leipzig 1921).

Die Devise des Ordens war damals bereits "Fideliter et Constanter" (Treu und Best?ndig). Sie ist auch heute noch die Devise des Hauses.

Nachfolger des Ordens der deutschen Redlichkeit war der Sachsen-Ernestinische Hausorden.

Dieser Orden wurde 1833 von den Herz?gen Bernhard Erich Freund von Sachsen-Meiningen und Ernst I. von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha sowie Erbprinz Joseph von Sachsen-Altenburg als "Herzoglich Sachsen-Ernestinischer Hausorden" neu gestiftet. Er kn?pfte an die bisherigen Grunds?tze an und behielt auch die Ordensdevise "Fideliter et Constanter" bei.

Schon der "Orden der deutschen Redlichkeit" war als eine "Ehrenauszeichnung der F?rstlichen Glieder Unseres Hauses und zugleich als ?ffentliche Anerkennung des Verdienstes" konzipiert. Auch der Sachsen-Ernestinische Hausorden war eine Auszeichnung f?r "Staatsdiener und Unterthanen, die mit deutscher Redlichkeit, durch ausgezeichnete Thaten, besondere Treue und aufopfernde Ergebenheit sich vorz?gliche Anspr?che auf die Achtung und Dankbarkeit des Staates erworben haben" (aus der Pr?ambel der Statuten von 1833).

Der Orden bestand urspr?nglich aus vier Klassen (Stand 1833):

Gro?kreuz

Comthure 1. Klasse

Comthure 2. Klasse

Ritter

Daneben bestand noch ein mit dem Orden affiliertes Ehrenzeichen mit den Stufen "Verdienstkreuz" und "Verdienstmedaille".

Mit der Verleihung des Gro?kreuzes an nichtadlige Personen war die Erlangung aller Rechte des Geburtsadels verbunden.

Die Anzahl der Ordensverleihungen war durch die Statuen begrenzt. Neben den Prinzen der beteiligten H?user konnten nach den Statuten von 1833 maximal 9 weitere Gro?kreuze verliehen werden. Die anderen 3 Stufen waren auf insgesamt 12, 18 bzw. 36 Verleihungen beschr?nkt. Ab 1864 wurden die Beschr?nkungen auf 12 Gro?kreuze, 15 Comthure 1. Klasse, 24 Comthure 2. Klasse und 48 Ritter erh?ht.

Unbeschr?nkt war die Anzahl der Verdienstkreuze und -medaillen.

1864 wurden auch weitere Klassen eingef?hrt, so dass ab diesem Jahr folgende Unterteilung bestand:

Gro?kreuz

Comthure 1. Klasse

Comthure 2. Klasse

Ritter 1. Klasse

Ritter 2. Klasse

sowie

Verdienstkreuz

Verdienstmedaille in Gold

Verdienstmedaille in Silber

Der Sachsen-Ernestinische Hausorden wurde bis 1935 verliehen und stellte eine der angesehensten Verdienstauszeichnungen dar (vgl. Illing, Fritz, Orden und Ehrenzeichen der Staaten Th?ringens 1590-1935, S. 19)

Aufbauend auf den erloschenen Sachsen-Ernestinischen Hausorden wurde nun im Jahre 2006 von Prinz Andreas, dem Oberhaupt des Hauses Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha, der Herzoglich Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha'sche Hausorden gestiftet.

Auch mit diesem Orden werden herausragende Verdienste um Gemeinwohl und das Haus Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha gew?rdigt.

In Anlehnung an die historischen Vorbilder besteht der Orden heute aus folgenden Klassen:

Gro?kreuz

Comthurkreuz

Ritterkreuz

sowie als mit dem Hausorden affiliiertes Ehrenzeichen das

Verdienstkreuz

Der Ordenskanzler

Dr. Otmar Fugmann

There are two photos within the text that did not copy so here they are separately:

grosskreuzscglz1.jpg

hausordenscgsealcd7.jpg

...and here's Prinz Andreas in formal dress wearing the grand cordon:

prinzandreasdl0.jpg

...and Erbprinz Hubertus:

erbprinzhubertusrr9.jpg

I'm sure there are those who'll disagree, but I, for one, am very pleased to see a house keeping its traditions.

Here is a "mechanical" translation of the text:

House medal

House medals have a long tradition in the house Saxonia Coburg and Gotha. The today's "Saxonia Coburg and Gotha' house medals" go on the "medal of German probity" out of the year 1689 (other sources: 1690) back. The "medal of German probity" was created by duke Friedrich I. of Saxonia Gotha in memories to his father, duke Ernst the pious one. This medal is considered as the first German lay knight medal (see Nimmergut, Joerg, German medals and decorations until 1945, S. 1369, 1999) (isolated it is called even "first German medal", see castle, Paul, the medal of German probity, Leipzig 1921).

The foreign exchange of the medal was at that time already "Fideliter et Constanter" (faithfully and steady). It is also today still the foreign exchange of the house. Successor of the medal of German probity was the Saxonia Sachsen-Ernestini house medal. This medal was again donated to 1833 of the dukes Bernhard Erich friend of Saxonia Meiningen and Ernst I. of Saxonia Coburg and Gotha as well as hereditary prince Joseph von Sachsen-Altenburg as "Herzoglich of Saxonia Sachsen-Ernestini house medals".

He tied to the past principles and maintained also the medal foreign exchange "Fideliter et Constanter". The "medal of German probity" was already conceived as a "honour honor of the Fuerstlichen of members of our house and at the same time as public acknowledgment of earnings/services". Also the Saxonia Sachsen-Ernestini house medal was an honor for "state servants and Unterthanen, those with German probity, by excellent Thaten, special loyalty and devoted devotion excellent requirements on the attention and gratitude of the state acquired itself" (from the preamble of the statutes of 1833). The medal originally consisted of four classes (conditions 1833): Large cross Comthure 1. Class Comthure 2. Class knight beside it existed still another decoration with the stages "Distinguished Service Cross" and "earnings/service medal", affiliertes with the medal. With the award of the large cross to not-noble persons the acquisition of all rights of the birth aristocracy was connected. The number of medal awards was limited by the statues. Beside the princes of the houses involved maximally 9 further large crosses could be lent after the statutes of 1833. The other 3 stages were on altogether 12, 18 and/or. 36 awards limits. Starting from 1864 the restrictions became on 12 large crosses, 15 Comthure 1. Class, 24 Comthure 2. Class and 48 knights increase.

The number of the Distinguished Service Crosses and medals was unrestricted. 1864 was introduced also further classes, so that starting from this year the following partitioning existed:

Large cross Comthure

1. Class Comthure

2. Class knight

1. Class knight

2. Class as well as Distinguished Service Cross earnings/service medal in gold earnings/service medal in silver the Saxonia Sachsen-Ernestini house medal was lent to 1935 and represented one of the most outstanding earnings/service honors (see Illing, Fritz, Orden and Ehrenzeichen of the states of Thuringia 1590-1935, S.

19) Constructing on the extinct Saxonia Sachsen-Ernestini house medal now in the year 2006 by prince Andreas, Saxonia Coburg and Gotha, the Herzoglich Saxonia Coburg and Gotha' house medals were donated to the head of the house. Also with this medal outstanding earnings/services are appreciated around public interest and the house Saxonia Coburg and Gotha. Following the historical models the medal consists today of the following classes: Large cross Comthurkreuz knight cross as well as decoration that affiliiertes with the house medal Distinguished Service Cross The medal chancellor Dr. Otmar joining man

Guest Rick Research

Dynastic awards are certainly within the purview of whoever the current Head of the House is

but I was under the impression that the German law of 1935 banned any such awards from that point on?

I wonder who is making these now, and what they are made from. It would be very interesting to compare a new Ernestine side by side, in hand with an old one. :beer:

Dynastic awards are certainly within the purview of whoever the current Head of the House is

but I was under the impression that the German law of 1935 banned any such awards from that point on?

I wonder who is making these now, and what they are made from. It would be very interesting to compare a new Ernestine side by side, in hand with an old one. :beer:

Rick,

You hear all kinds of arguments either way. I have read some articles that successor states can ban a former monarchy's orders, but others say that technically, if they're a house order, the state can only try to ban them, they're still entirely in the personal purview of the head of the house. The state my ban the wearing of the awards by members of the civil service and military, and they may pass a law banning the awarding of the orders, but in reality that law is meaningless (in a small sense) because the order belongs to that house, not to the state. Some people argue very forcefully that these former ruling house awards are "invalid". I personally belong to the school that says successor states have no authority over house orders of former ruling houses (other than the wearing by public officials and the military). I don't know anything about German law, perhaps the law of 1935 dissapeared after 1945, or maybe it's just ignored today.

I read recently that the head of the royal house of Bavaria, Duke Franz, awarded the Order of St Hubertus to two individuals a few years back. I think one was the ruling Prince of Lichtenstein and I don't recall who the other one was. The Habsburgs still award the Order of the Golden Fleece as a house order too.

Guest Rick Research

Wear is, of course, the sticking point. I agree with you that the recognized head of any sovereign former ruling house has the right to keep on with dynastic awards

though things might get messy with those Bourbons and Orleans claimants as one example of rivalry to no longer extant thrones.

On the other hand, remember the idiotic Princess of Anhalt back about 1980 who SOLD "legal" adoptions to adults? It's ones like those--like the idiot ex-cop "Prince von Anhalt" "married" to Zsa Zsa Gabor who was recently out in front of cameras boasting of being (gag smilie) the father of Anna Nicole Smith's final offspring that subject decent and repectable families to undeserved mockery.

I'd really like to find out who is manufacturing the revived Ernestines and out of what materials. I'm not quite sure if that is hot or cold enamel from the examples shown, but certainly better looking than Steinhauer & L?ck's M1957 awards. COST of course is a major drawback these days

but there is nothing worse than schlocky design (NOT a problem here :beer: ) materials and workmanship. Think the shameful stuff being handed out by "real" governments these days. :banger:

Working on the Principality of Hohenzollern's WW1 award rolls (which should, fingers crossed, knock on wood, be printed SOON), I found the Prince continued handing out awards as late as 1930, and did not cease issuing replacements until 1947. I will forever wonder about WHERE that lucky final ex-officer was going to WEAR his everything-was-banned in that hard-scrabble year! :speechless1: Presumably those were all OLD pieces that continued being handed out until the 1914-ish contract was used up.

From the inside of the crown and general finish, however, the new Ernestines are... NEW. While old, old Orders might theoretically be re-issued (doubt VERY much that would be sensible, if they do have a chest full of returns), the mentioned MEDALS would have to be newly minted, to bear the current head of the family's image.

Keep us posted-- this is quite fascinating. I wonder if other Houses will follow suit?

I also hope-- having labored through the FIVE sets of rolls jointly/separately kept by the three Ernestine Duchies through WW1 (and THOSE tens of thousands of awards, what with the Meiningen War Honor Crosses and so on) should ALSO (hopefully) be printed this year-- that the NEW rolls will be kept by Herr Fugmann with COMPLETE and LEGIBLE details on ALL new recipients. Ambiguity and vaagueness are NOT future rolls transcribers' friends! :rolleyes: