News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Please help with translation

Guest Rick Research

You couldn't ask for a nicer portrait of that weird style of field cap, or to contrast the contrast in quality a pre-war-made tunic like that being worn by a mere private had with the nasty stuff in wear by the end of the war! :cheers:

It is addressed to Hermann D?hler in R?tzengr?n bei Auerbach in the Voigtland.

Returnee is witten: GEFREITER (which he is not in the photo--no collar rank in that ? basic training pose) L. Gerisak, 1st Fortress Medical Company, Posen.

From Posen 15 November

he sends Dear Hermann this portrait as a souvenir, says they will be right soon "in function" (spelled wrong) and "up through today everything's really been going very well. Many greetings to the workers of Reiboldsgr?n (!) with hopes of a healthy reunion,

Louis"

Can't imagine a Babelfisch would get much out of it, since it's in incomplete sentences and spelled wrong, though Louis the workers' friend has a legible enough hand. Basic grammar school educations were better back then than a lot of what comes out of colleges these days! :rolleyes:

After a quick look at the Volsbund there is no record of Louis Gerisak,so i could assume that he survived the war?

but i have 5 Herman Dohlers who died in WW1 .

Unfortunatly there is no more information so that is pretty much a dead end.

Thanks again for the info Rick.

Guest Rick Research

Another terrific quality shot, wearing the M1916 Bavarian state edging on his collar. Yes, to Georg Baier junior in Sulzbach.