News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

U.S. Civil War militaria.

Guest Ringo Kid

Guest Ringo Kid

I'm pretty new to this site as well as new into collecting U.S. Civil War Militaria. I was hoping to see if I could find anyone on this nice site who is knowledgable on Confederate Tin Drum Canteens and also to see if it is possible to find out exactly what large unit the soldier who had the canteen, had belonged to.

Just recently I was able to purchase a Confederate tin drum canteen from a Museum selling some extra items. This canteen has no cloth covering but has it's original carrying strap made from cotton. On one side this canteen has stenciled in black paint C.S.A. 1st battalion, K company.

Would anyone here have an idea on how to further research this canteen? Any help is appreciated.

Seems pretty tough to research...

The C.S.A. stands for Confederate States of America, pretty generic on Southern items, and the 1st batallion, K company could be part of any Southern Division... It would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to research.

Do you know of any battles this company participated in? That could narrow it down some.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,

Adam

Guest Ringo Kid

Hi Adam, thanks for trying and I got as far as you did based on what was on the canteen. I have no clue where this soldier might have fought (at least yet) and I still need to study the canteen for any other markings or numbers. Oh well, if I never get further than were i'm now at with it, its OK by me. This canteen is my first Confederate Militaria item I have purchased. I also know of a confederate belt with 2 piece snake buckle that is for sale for a decent price, that I might be able to get. The belt also comes with a cartridge box.

Guest Rick Research

Pictures would clear up ONE immediate question which comes to mind:

I can't imagine any army at any time in which a Company "K" would have been in a FIRST Battalion. Might that be 1st REGIMENT?

Guest Ringo Kid

Hi Rick, your probably right on it being a 1st regiment. I have to take photo's the old fashioned way using a regular camera as I don't have a digital camera. I have photo's of other items I would like to share as well. All items are museum purchases I made during the last year.

If you are interested, I do have a few other items recieved during the past year that you might be interested in?

Besides this Confederate Tin Drum Canteen, I have a grouping having belonged to an American Lieutenant who fought in WWI "A Lt Roderick," and some Imperial German items. It will be about two weeks before I can think of posting photo's as I am going to be at a Museum workers meeting held in Michegan which will last a week.

Regards RK-C.