News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Uncommon Austria-Hungarians

hunyadi

All of these scans come from the book 'A Magyar Katona Vitezsegnek Ezer Eve'. The book is a comprehensive account of the 'Knights' of Hungarian history. Unfortunatly I only have the second volume which goes up to 1918, though several photos are from the 1920's. There is no publish date in the volume, but seeing as how the Order of the Vitez was created in 1922, its safe to assume it was publihsed in the 1920's - perhapes even the early 30's.

What is interesting is the photos of some interesting Hungarains in the AH Army in odd places.

First one is Col. Zagonyi Karoly who led troops in the battle of Springfield Missouri on Oct 25th, 1861. My ancestor was on the opposite side and clearly so when Zagony cried out to his men 'Come On! Old Kentuck! I'm With You!'. According to the book (from what I can roughly translate) was Zagony participated in the 1848-49 war of independance, but became ill before he saw any action. Imigrating to the USA after the war he then took life up as a Union officer during the American Civil War. He survived the war and died in peace.