News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Well if the "white" is a very faded light blue then the colours would be for the Royal Corps of Signals. An RCS memo of 1934 stated that the flash would have the colours vertically placed and from the front of the helmet light blue, dark blue and green with the flash tucked into the 4th fold from the top.

In this example for it to be RCS, the flash would have had to be attached back-to-front as the 'white' or 'light blue' is not to the front of the helmet.

Stuart

Certainly looks as though it's a sun bleached example of the Royal Signals. The only way to tell would be to remove it and look at the reverse as the colouring should remain stable on the other side. I picked up RAF pagree flash some years ago in York for a RAF collector friend and it was bleached, but not as bad. the reverse side though was perfect.

Graham.

Well as we expected it is of the Royal Corps of Signals. The seller told me that the flash was indeed tucked into the puggaree and on inspecting the reverse of the 'white' section told me that it was light blue in colour.

I won it today on eBay for a song so will post it in the relevant section when I have it.

Stuart

• 3 weeks later...

I was recently told of a book, privately-published in the UK, which addressed headdress 'embellishments', i.e., flashes, hackles, plumes, etc.... Does anyone know its title or from where it can obtained?

Possibly this one?

Badge Backings and Special Embellishments of the British Army by C. E. Audax, published 1992., proceeds to the UDR Benevolent Fund. ISBN 0951434209.

• 3 weeks later...