News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Interesting Green Fire Tunic

Hello,

Presented here is an interesting Feuerwehr green tunic. Although the volunteer and career firemen traditionally worn the Prussian blue tunics we always associate with them, in 1943 they were ordered to begin switching over to a standardized green police type tunic. Here is one such tunic intended for Feuerwehr use rather than Feuerschutzpolizei as are most green fire tunics encountered.

Here is a view of the front. Standard carmine pink piping of the fire services with black collar and cuffs.

This tunic had been used and abused over the years and has had the insignia changed many times. This is the result of my restoration to what it should have looked like during the period. When I received it it had no tabs and the wrong shoulder boards. The boards are sitting slightly foreward of the normally encountered position, but this is where they were originally mounted as evidenced by construction details inside the shoulders, so I dd not modify the position.

Here is a view of the black corded boards and tabs.

When I closed the seams holding the shoulder boards I found remnants of at least five different color threads, suggesting that this tunic has seen many alterations during it's life. Hopefully it has now seen it's last "modification" as it has been returned to it's original appearance, rank not withstanding.

When I received the tunic it had a SchuPo d. Gemeinden eagle machine sewn to the sleeve. Very strange as it was clearly NOT a fire eagle. Also the edges of that eagle were not married into the body of the sleeve, and it appeared to have been freashly applied.

Close examination showed that someone had opened the seam on the back of the sleeve to allow the machine stitching of the WRONG color eagle. It was clearly NOT the eagle original to this tunic. Proves that machine stitching of eagles means very little when evaluating authenticity. The alteration was discovered as the less than competent tailor had left the seam thread holes from the original construction visable where he mismatched the closure of the shoulder seam proving that the seam had been opened after original assembly. Why someone would use a rare GemPo eagle to slap this tunic together is anyone's guess. He probably didn't know the difference.

I have replaced that eagle with a proper all carmine Feuerwehr eagle ( actually a rather rare eagle type), rather than a more common Feuerschutzpolizei eagle with a black swastika, for reasons that shall become obvious in a second.

This eagle was originally an exact match to the tunic. Unfortunately it has suffered moth grazing to the nap which gives it a slightly mottled appearance. It is a fairly close match for the wear and service condition of the tunic.

And here are the depot stamps which tell me this was a Feuerwehr tunic NOT a Feuerschutzpolizei. It is clearly stamped with "FW" (FeuerWehr) rather than "Fu Sch Po" as is a tunic with very similar depot stamps in another collecot's collection.

Clearly this is a rather rare example of a green tunic actually issued to a career fireman, most whom continued to wear the blue tunics until the end of the war.

Edited by W.Unland

Here is a closer view showing that this tunic was made this way. It is possible that it was originally cut to be manufactured in the traditional manner. That said, the modification was carried out when it was originally assembled as the thread used is the same as the other construction. This is NOT a "collector" modification.

I can only guess that this detail was omitted as this tunic was intended for a fireman. Perhaps the decorations were considered unnecessary, or perhaps they interferred with the fire service belt. Or maybe they were just left off to save time. I will never know.

Here is a photo of the inside of the lower back showing that the lining is contiguous where the vent and flaps should be. It looks like the center is a different color, but it is really one piece of cotton, the color difference due to camera flash. Again, this detail showing that this tunic was made this way.

The tunic is otherwise fully lined with dagger hole and bandage pocket. It is entirely original, if not entirely badged as it

came from the factory.

Another example of how losely regulations were followed when it comes to these civil police service tunics.

Thanks for taking a look.

Regards,

William Unland

• 5 months later...