News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Elisabeth II Award for agriculture and farming?

Veteran

Hello everyone,

This large and heavy (66mm 90grs) silver medal shows a plowman in the background and an allegory of trade (?) extending a crown. The caption starts with "ZA" but that is where my Russian stops.

The obverse is the same as the "personnal award medal of the Ataman of the Zaporozhue Cossaks" shown in the booklet "Russian and Soviet Award Medals" published in 1977 by the then Order of Lenin State History Museum.

I could find nothing about this particular medal.

My questions are : what kind of an award might this be,

when was it given, (1709-1761) first half of the XVIIIth Century?

who would have received it?

Was the medal continued by others in the following reigns?

Is it collected? If so, what could it possibly be worth?

Every bit of information will be gratefully received. Thank you

Veteran

That would say "For Labor-- the Reward."

It is the prize medal for the Russian Society for a Liberal Economy. The medal bears the portrait of Catherine the Great (1762-96) (not Elizabeth Petrovna). Comes in 3 sizes, 63 mm 43 mm and 38 mm and was struck from at least four different dies.

The piece you illustrate appears to be in very good condition and as you are probably well aware the Russian market is exceedingly strong. the largest size would make in excess of 1,000 euros while the smaller size would still probably realise 500

The best book (or at least for non-Russians the most accessible) is "Description de Medailles Russes 862-1908, V. P. Smirnov, St. Petersburg 1908, reprinted by Francois van Hoof and Andre Schoevaert on behalf of the Russian Numismatic Society U.S.A. in 1990 (So should be reasonably easy to track a copy down at a reasonable price) and being in French is more user friendly than some of the more recent (and more detailed) Russian productions. Is also useful from the phaleristic point of view as it lists all the early award medals which were especially in the 18th century in the form of table medals but also lists some of the later (especially civil ) awards.

Hope this is of help,

Paul

That would say "For Labor-- the Reward."

It is the prize medal for the Russian Society for a Liberal Economy. The medal bears the portrait of Catherine the Great (1762-96) (not Elizabeth Petrovna). Comes in 3 sizes, 63 mm 43 mm and 38 mm and was struck from at least four different dies.

The piece you illustrate appears to be in very good condition and as you are probably well aware the Russian market is exceedingly strong. the largest size would make in excess of 1,000 euros while the smaller size would still probably realise 500

The best book (or at least for non-Russians the most accessible) is "Description de Medailles Russes 862-1908, V. P. Smirnov, St. Petersburg 1908, reprinted by Francois van Hoof and Andre Schoevaert on behalf of the Russian Numismatic Society U.S.A. in 1990 (So should be reasonably easy to track a copy down at a reasonable price) and being in French is more user friendly than some of the more recent (and more detailed) Russian productions. Is also useful from the phaleristic point of view as it lists all the early award medals which were especially in the 18th century in the form of table medals but also lists some of the later (especially civil ) awards.

Hope this is of help,

Paul

Thank you both, Rick and Paul, for the very useful information you have given

The medal is, of course, Czarine Catherine, and not Elisabeth. I must have been cross-eyed when I looked at the medal. So it is therefore later than I staded, truly the second half of the XVIIIthe Century. I wonder how official this "Russian Society for a Liberal Economy" could have been in those days?

It had been sitting in a drawer for 35 years, quite forgotten. I am delighted to know what it is. This forum brings the answers to so many questions.... I will try and track a copy of the Smirnov as suggested by Paul. Thank you again

Veteran

Thank you both, Rick and Paul, for the very useful information you have given

The medal is, of course, Czarine Catherine, and not Elisabeth. I must have been cross-eyed when I looked at the medal. So it is therefore later than I staded, truly the second half of the XVIIIthe Century. I wonder how official this "Russian Society for a Liberal Economy" could have been in those days?

It had been sitting in a drawer for 35 years, quite forgotten. I am delighted to know what it is. This forum brings the answers to so many questions.... I will try and track a copy of the Smirnov as suggested by Paul. Thank you again

Veteran

I believe that it was a Society with Imperial Patronage as awards were being issued certainly by later Czar's. To have the Czar of the Czarina's portrait on the medal would only be allowed if it had their support.

All the best,

Paul