News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Seeking Info: German Cavalry Saber

I have a saber hanging on my wall that reads, 3. Ulan=Regiment (1. brandenburgerische) "Emperor Alexander II. of Russia. "Zur Erinnering an meiner Dienstzeit".

The saber and scabbard are in excellent condition.

Was there a difference between officer's and enlisted men's sabers, and if so how do I determine which I have?

Guest Rick Research

That is the standard issue enlisted ranks pattern cavalry sword. Officers had an incredible variety of swords depending on the branch of cavalry and their own tastes and budgets. The most common cavalry officer sword type had a lionhead grip.

"Service time" refers to draft time served, so this is much nicer than the usual commemorative stein or hand colored photograph. They were stock souvenir items-- I can't remember ever seeing one with the actual years of duty on the blade, since they were easier to sell as ready-made "generics." Anything anonymous with a unit mentioned like this is going to be for an enlisted man.

Officers moved from regiment to regiment--one reason cavalry service was so incredibly expensive was being transferred from Uhlans to Hussars etc required totally new uniforms and equipment with a promotion. Birthday, service jubilee, or retirement gift swords to an officer will bear inscription with the unit, but will have names or something like "To Our Departing Comrade after 17 years with the XYZ Regiment."

Matching scabbards will give some clue as to when the owner was wearing a sword. Shiny nickled finish with two strap rings pre-date 1906. One ring (and often the earlier 2 ring nickled type had one removed and was refinished) and blackened finish is from 1910 on. Often older swords still "in use" will have an updated scabbard, so age of the sword isn't really this finely date-able, only WHEN it was still being carried.

Thank you, so is yours - these "Degen" with the Regiment on the blade are very collectible and sought after. Yours is from the same Ulanen Regiment "Kaiser Alexander III von Ru?land (Westpreu?isches) Nr.1" that Richthofen belonged to.

Does yours have a folding or solid crossguard?

Hardy

Thank you, so is yours - these "Degen" with the Regiment on the blade are very collectible and sought after. Yours is from the same Ulanen Regiment "Kaiser Alexander III von Ru?land (Westpreu?isches) Nr.1" that Richthofen belonged to.

Does yours have a folding or solid crossguard?

Hardy

hardy,

I was unaware of that bit regarding Richthofen! It has a folding crossguard.