News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bonjour,

Here's an interesting Bavarian Cavalry Officer photograph :

Unterrichter.jpg

Luckily signed and dated at the back :

Unterrichterback.jpg

So he's Oskar Freiherr Unterrichter von Rechtenthal.

We learn much about his career thanks to "Die bayerische Kriegsakademie (1867-1914)" :

Born 25.7.1847 in Ritten by Bozen, died 18.9.1904 in M?nchen. Married Elisabeth Hirsch in 1885 (one child).

He joined the 6.Chevaulegers-Regiment as a Junker in 1865.

In 1866 the 6.Chevaulegers-Regiment was attached to the 4th Infantry Division Generaleutnant Ritter von Hartmann.

Unterrichter (Unterlieutenant since the May 21st Armee-Befehl No.16) took part in the Ro?dorf (July 4th), Kissingen (July 10th) and Ro?brunn and Hettstadt (July 26th) fights.

During the 1870-71 war, he was an Ordonnanz-Offizier by the General-Stab of the I.AK.

He was present at W?rth, Beaumont, Sedan, Orl?ans and siege of Paris.

He was belobt in the 30. August 1870 Armee-Befehl (Verordnungs-Blatt No.43 published August 31st) for W?rth, awarded the EKII (for Orl?ans) through Armee-Befehl No. 68 of November 25th 1870, and awarded the Bavarian Milit?r-Verdienstorden 4. Classe throught the December 2nd Armee-Befehl (Verordnungs- Blatt No.70 published December 4th).

In 1871-72 he attended the Kriegsakademie I. Kurs.

He was promoted a Premier-Lieutenant into the 2.Uhlanen-R?giment K?nig on February 18th, 1873.

In 1873-74, he was "zur Equitationsanstalt kommandiert".

In 1874 he became Adjutant der 4. Kavallerie-Brigade.

In 1876 he was made a Kammerjunker.

On April 4th 1877 he was appointed back to the 2. Uhlanen-Regiment (interestingly the April 4th Verordnungs-Blatt say that he had been "? la suite des 2. Uhlanen-regiments K?nig, bisher Adjutant der 3. Cavalerie-Brigade")

In 1878 he was promoted to Rittmeister (December 3rd) and Eskadrons-Chef, back to the 6.Chevaulegers-Regiment.

In 1883 he was appointed to the I.Chevaulegers-Regiment.

In 1887 he had a year off ("beurlaubt"), before being promoted to Major.

He was promoted to Oberstlieutenant ? la suite der Armee on february 27th 1892, and retired with the rank of Oberst on June 1st 1895.

His decorations show nicely on this CDV :

UnterrichterCloseUp.jpg

But that's where the question comes in : the 1880 bavarian Army List describe them as Milit?r-Verdienstorden 4. Classe, Kriegsdenkm?nze f?r 1870-71 aus Bronce, Armee-Denkzeichen 1866, and EKII.

(It also says he is a Kammerjunker, and "Matrikelzeichen als Tyroler (?) adeliger Landmann".)

My question is about the eagle decoration he is sporting from his neck ?

At first glance it looks much like the Hohenzollern Adler - though the eagle does not seem to be carrying the usual devices.

To be complete, it seems the Unterrichter von Rechtenthal arms are sporting, among other symbols, an "einw?rtssehender schwarzer Adler".

I must admit to being completely out of my depth here - any information welcome !

Cheers,

Jerome