News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

USMC Rifle and Pistol Expert Badge

Thierry

There are three levels (and three types of badge)

1. Marksman

2. Sharpshooter

3. Expert

You have Expert in Rifle and Pistol badges . . . both badges have been in service since 1958

Qualification is based on a points system

For Rifle qualification points are as follows:

220 to 250 points -- Expert

210 to 219 points -- Sharpshooter

190 to 209 points -- Marksman

I do not know the numbers for Pistol qualification, but it's on a similar scale

Typically, all Marines qualify with the rifle on an annual basis

The most recent qualification score determines the badge that is worn (higher or lower)

If a Marine achieves the score of Expert multiple times in his or her career, an additional "rung" may be added to the badge denoting the number of awards earned

Hope this helps

There are three levels (and three types of badge)

1. Marksman

2. Sharpshooter

3. Expert

You have Expert in Rifle and Pistol badges . . . both badges have been in service since 1958

Qualification is based on a points system

For Rifle qualification points are as follows:

220 to 250 points -- Expert

210 to 219 points -- Sharpshooter

190 to 209 points -- Marksman

I do not know the numbers for Pistol qualification, but it's on a similar scale

Typically, all Marines qualify with the rifle on an annual basis

The most recent qualification score determines the badge that is worn (higher or lower)

If a Marine achieves the score of Expert multiple times in his or her career, an additional "rung" may be added to the badge denoting the number of awards earned

Hope this helps

Excellent response David. I only have a couple of interesting things to add. These badges have been in official service since, at least, 1900. They were issued to me in 1946 when I happily left Parris Island for R&R in China. Of interest is that the only changes made to these medals is the depiction of the current service rifle. The rifle expert badge issued in 1946 displayed the M1 Garrand. Previously it was the Springfied 03A1. I have in my collection a rifle expert badge from the 1890s that depicts the short lived 30-40 Krag that covered the Spanish American War and the Boxer Rebellion. I am not certain about the pistol badge except from WWI till I retired it was a depiction of the .45 Cal ACP. I do not know if the Beretta was shown on the curent models.

The Marine Corps has always strived for excellence in marksmanship training. There are higher level marksmanship badges that are worn by Distinguished marksman that are given at division and higher shooting events. The most prestigious being the Lochheimer trophy awards given in gold, silver, and bronze.

Semper Fi

Dick LaTondre

CWO, USMC, Ret