News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rock star awarded medals

Doc Neeson is a legend in the Australian music scene, and he is a good bloke. I used to drink with him on and off. Despite his reputation as being a wild man, he was in reality a preety down to earth person. The Captain standing to the right of him in the shot is one of my old XO's.

The Angels' frontman Doc Neeson was presented with two military medals in Baghdad while touring across the Middle East as part of a morale-boosting concert series for Australian troops known as 'Tour de Force.'

Before becoming a professional musician, Doc was called on for National Service in 1968.

Originally posted to the 3rd Battalion The Royal Australia Regiment, Doc later transferred to the Education Corps to become a teacher. He was promoted to Sergeant and later left the service to sing and study for a double honours degree in drama and film production.

Although it's taken a while for the medals to be awarded, Doc was ecstatic they could be presented 'in the field' by the commander of Australian forces in the Middle East, Major General Mark Evans.

Doc Neeson said: "This has been really overwhelming. As Major General Evans pinned the medals on I was surrounded by the current generation of soldiers and they are not only brave and highly intelligent but they are good human beings.

"For me singing is more than getting the notes out, it's about releasing emotions and right now I feel like I could burst with patriotic pride," he said.

Doc Neeson was awarded the National Service Medal and the Australian Defence Medal.

They will sit alongside his Australian Services Medal, awarded in 1999 for peace keeping work 1947-1975 with a Papua New Guinea clasp.

The Aria Hall of Fame winner will wear his new medals during the remaining performances of his Tour De Force concerts for Australian troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Edited by Tiger-pie

Thanks for posting this item about Doc Neeson, I never knew about his military service or the double honours degree. He must be older than I thought to fit all that in berfore the Angels.

I still remember how powerful a rock act the Angels were, I got to see them live once in the early 80's at the Royal Antler Hotel in Narabeen.