News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Canadian Volunteer Service Medal w/ Hong Kong bar

Hello Everyone,

I just added this Canadian Volunteer Services Medal with Hong Kong bar to my collection this week and would like to share some information as to the identity of those actually shown on the obverse.

The Canadian Volunteer Service Medal was awared for 18 month's voluntary service in the Canadian Froces from September 3, 1939 to March 1, 1947, 650,000 have been awarded. The Maple Leaf Bar (shown on this medal) was for overseas service, 525,500 bars awarded, and the other bar, The Hong Kong Bar (also with this medal) was for personnel involved in the Battle of Hong Kong from December 8 to 25, 1941, with 1,975 Canadian personnel involved in the defence of Hong Kong. The Hong Kong Bar was instituted on April 28 1994. I believe that both bars are original to this particular medal as I know the source of the medal, though I could not prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt and I don't have the supporting papers (yet). The patina and wear on the Hong Kong Bar is not quite as much as the rest of the medal yet shows wear and patina itself. In other words it is not a resent addition to bump up the value.

Now to the matter of who is actually shown on the obverse. I have other Canadian Volunteer Service Medals some in mint condition but I wanted to show this one because of the Hong Kong Bar and the detail showed up better in my photographs.

To quote the "Medal Year Book",

"The seven marching personnel are based on real people taken from National Defence photographs, representing the land, sea and air forces plus a nurse. The individuals are: first row: centre,3780 Leading Seaman P.G. Colbeck, RCN; left, C52819 Pte D.E. Dolan, 1 Can. Para. Bn; right, R95505 F/Sgt K.M. Morgan, RCAF, Second row: centre, W4901 Wren P. Mathie, WRCNS; left, 12885 L/Cpl J.M. Dann, CWAC; right, W315563 LAW O. M. Salmon, RCAF; back row: Lt N/S E.M." Lowe, RCAMC.

I hope this is not a repeat of someone else's past post, I looked and couldn't find one.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian